Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

contact lenses

General off-topic chat.
Colin

contact lenses

Post by Colin » Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 pm

A very trying day  as its my first day with contacts ,  my eyes are red and tired from my fingers poking at them
they say it will get easier .
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

IanP

Re: contact lenses

Post by IanP » Tue May 15, 2018 5:34 am

Been using them for 35 years, and yes it does get easier. Couple of seconds to put in or take out.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue May 15, 2018 10:23 am

I could no longer see my computer screens properly with them in, so gave up after a couple of days.

Good luck  :)
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue May 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Like Ian, I have been wearing them for decades.  On advice from my Optometrist, I built up slowly an hour a day and adding an hour every day until I got used to them.  Don’t try to do it all in one go as your eyes won’t thank you.  The first ones I had To start with stayed in for a maximum of 12 hours at a time then took them out and cleaned them.  Took a two day break (the weekends) every week.

The type I have now stay on for a month at a time, day and night (Purevision HD2).  Never used dailies but they may be easier to start with too.

Worth getting some eye drops for contact lenses to help you get used to them.  Only use drops suitable for contact lenses.  They help keep you eyes moist and more comfortable.

In case you haven’t been told, NEVER let tap water anywhere near them!  Tap water contains Acanthamoeba and that can be very bad news if you have a scratch on your eye.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Colin

Post by Colin » Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Well im 10 days in now wearing them  and really have got the hang of them now  in and out no problem

As X5Sport recommended  got some eye drops  and as he said eyes are comfortable

Must say my working day is so much better not having to wear glasses
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

bascule

Post by bascule » Fri May 25, 2018 11:39 am

Wore them for 12 years and absolutely loved them - hate glasses.

But - started seeing some eye issues - had to change from daily disposables to the extra oxygen type ones, cost a bunch more, then despite that started getting even more issues (blood vessels growing into the cornea etc) followed by multiple instances of concretions in my eyelids (**** me that hurts, so incredibly sore for days each time, and an eye hospital trip each time having them cut out... it's a build up of (keratin?) that forms into tiny lumps in your eyelids, you're completely unaware until they cut through (they're sharp) and start scraping your eye with each blink and while you're asleep.. horrendous)

ended up being told you must not wear contacts for more than an hour ever, better not to wear them at all.

Gave up at that point, (4 years back) - no more eye issues whatsoever, no concretions, no blood vessel issues or soreness, job done.  Cant do the contacts anymore but still hate glasses!

The point I'm making is that your regular followup checks are absolutely essential!  don't skip them thinking you're alright, it's not worth it and you may be unaware if issues building up - and definitely don't ignore given advice on limiting how long you wear them - they don't work long term for everyone, and your eye health is important!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Sound advice indeed.  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.