Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Train Season Ticket

Jokes and humour! Keep it clean(ish) folks!
Junkie

My Train Season Ticket

Post by Junkie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 pm

Hello folks, welcome to my world.

As some of you may already know, I drive a 2001 4.4 as the family car, having sacrificed the rest of the fleet to move east toward London for work.

A knock on effect of this is the need to take a train each day, in and out of our fair capital to get to my place of work and return home either after a social beer or otherwise on the first one available after the moment they stop paying me.

For this priviledge I pay the handsome sum of almost four grand a year...

So, the dilemma unfolds; I'm basically a nice guy, polite and respectful especially towards the ladies... opening doors, 'after you' etc etc

What I have quickly learned, to my own cost I'll have you know, is that in order to be assured of a chance at a seat on the hour journey is to become the opposite of every value i have been taught. Unlike the Tube which is predictable as to its consistent stopping point, this service is random and you either find yourself stood at the door and first on, or else last despite being on the platform before everyone else.

Often left standing with many others, moaning about why they cant lay on extra coaches, why cant we bump up to first class yadda yadda, they now actually employ a second train ticket guy who basically looks like a thug with a shaved head, stubble and earrings but knows the rule book backwards. From what I see its due to the grief the conductor gets that warrants the chaperone, perhaps at its funniest when non-first class passengers stand in the vestibule between coaches whilst on a standard class ticket, hilarious exchanges ensue but you cant beat the rule book and they will offload you into the custody of the railway plod if you kick off.... apparently, ahem.

One year on, just renewed the annual ticket and I'm a seasoned pro, disrespectful sh1t and rude to anyone who gets in my way, pushing and using my ample frame to deter would-be seat stealers, able to read reserved seat tickets at 10 metres for that elusive free shot, basically everything I'm not.

If you cant beat them, try kicking instead.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: My Train Season Ticket

Post by Sanj » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Much the same as you - mindful of everything and everyone around us. So when she was pregnant with our first and second, did they give up a seat - HELL NO!

So glad she's out of that sh!t hole!

I never like going into the city but when I do, still the same, I'll stand rather than scramble for that seat and always leave it for childeren, elderly, pregnant, etc. :roll:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:37 pm

I take the Gatwick express, very civilised :D
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

ITBarbie

My Train Season Ticket

Post by ITBarbie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:46 pm

Totally agree I worked in the city for years and used to get off at London Bridge and before that Victoria. I gave up working up there just 4 days before my first child and was huge when pregnant. There was no mistaking I was pregnant as was a size 10 with a very pronounced bump but do you think one sod would give me a seat? HELL NO!

I found it was normally middle aged white city types that were the worst :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:19 am

I would have though, but then again I was raised in the civilised part of Europe :D

911 50th anniversary -

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:51 pm

[quote=""pvr""]I take the Gatwick express, very civilised :D[/quote]

Was civilised before they started letting you on!

Also the peak hours comes from Brighton so less like to be civilised!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Never go at peak, either before or more often after.

911 50th anniversary -

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Well, tuesday cometh, with lots of the same and a random selection according to the delays, signal faults, line side problems, engineering works overrun, wrong kind of leaves....

I chose the place I live and the method of transport but as for adding quality of life I remain on the fence, nice house with local countryside, beach and facilities Vs. the misery line to the daily grind.

By the way, has anyone else put the heating on tonight? Its cold...

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:23 am

[quote=""pvr""]Never go at peak, either before or more often after.[/quote]

I've noticed you are a late riser!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

kena

My Train Season Ticket

Post by kena » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:35 am

Am I glad I don't live down there :-)

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:07 am

[quote=""535dboy""][quote=""pvr""]Never go at peak, either before or more often after.[/quote]

I've noticed you are a late riser![/quote]

Depends on what time zone. I generally work the USA time zone so if I am in the office at 830, that is 2:30 am US time :)

Got a bit firmer re the 10 - 11 pm meetings they tend to organise as I simply don't want to join those anymore that late in the evening.

911 50th anniversary -

shocks

Post by shocks » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

[quote=""pvr""]
Depends on what time zone. I generally work the USA time zone so if I am in the office at 830, that is 2:30 am US time :)

Got a bit firmer re the 10 - 11 pm meetings they tend to organise as I simply don't want to join those anymore that late in the evening.[/quote]

Similar here pvr, have teams in the US, mainly RTP and SJC (corp hq) - started to back off from any 9pm+ SJC scheduled meetings ways back and demand that they be more civil to us europeans is finally starting to work, though the rise in conf calls has been back on the go these past couple of months :(
Current
Macan GTS
M135, the commuter
991 GT3 - The Toy III

History
E39 520 - family lugger
E53 4.4 Sport
E70-FL 4.0d M-Sport; Lots of toys
996 Turbo - The Toy
991 Cab S - The Toy II
numerous others...