Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E46 starter motor change......what a job!!

Non BMW X-Series related discussion
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

E46 starter motor change......what a job!!

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:19 pm

It seems that our E46 330D is suffering the same bad starter motor issue that plagues the E53, but what a palava it is to change it.

I though it would be a simple job of disconnect the battery, starter electrics, undo a couple of nuts and hey presto.  Reverse order to put it all back together.  Sound reasonable?  I thought so too.

However it's a major job apparently and involved removal of the a/c scuttle below the windscreen, inlet manifold assemblies - just to get at the bolts/connections and then remove the under body shields, complete exhaust system, prop shaft, gearbox brace and a couple of smaller parts because it then won't come out unless the gearbox is lowered about 2 inches!!!  Someone really didn't think about maintenance support on this model at all.

It looks like this is a job that will have to go to a workshop as I just don't have the tooling to be able to get at everything as I can't get the car high enough (safely) in the air.  Being an Msport there's naff all ground clearance anyway.

What a bl@@dy mare of a job!  >:(
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E46 starter motor change......what a job!!

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Just managed to get a current clamp onto the battery - nice folks in our local workshop loaned me one - and it shows a mere 540A being drawn when the engine cranks.  Spec says 180A!  Seems the internal short issue that has affects hundreds of owners, but which BMW deny exists, has caught up with me again.  My E53 had the same issue 10 years ago.

So it's getting charged every night until I can get a replacement delivered and I'm going to try and do the job myself.

I'm hoping the battery will survive the abuse too.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:25 pm

So not the starter then or where is this internal fuse?

Changed the Golf starter a few months back - only issue with that one is that one of the bolts is also the engine block support.

With the aid of a jack it was a simple change of 3 bolts and a connector ... (and an hour head scratching as why it was not working but they had changed the connectors around on the new starter motor ...).
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:30 pm

No fuse.  It's in the motor windings.  Something to do with the winding coil wire's insulation I think, as in it breaks down and results in a short circuit/decreased resistance hence higher current flow.

As it's a manual box (so more room around it) I am hoping to be able to get at the bolts more easily.  Still need the skid plate off.  Once I can get the manifold off then I can see how little room I have, or what tool I can get in the available hole.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Spent 9 hours fixin it today!  More than half the job was clearing other parts out of the way (underbody shields, a/c scuttle, inlet manifold, various plugs and finding something to give extra leverage to the spanner to start it moving.

The two bolts holding the starter are very tight and given the lack of room has an impact on leverage.  Fortunately a 14" steel bar and two jubilee clips saved the day.

I bought the requisite E-Torx ratchet spanners - which are too bulky - but ended up using a Halfords Professional socket set and their matching hinged ratchet spanners to get the job done.  A worthy investment after all.  :)

It's fiddly and challenged space wise, but a RHD car at least means that the major surgery underneath was not required.

The longest bit was getting all the underbody shields to line back up again so the screws would engage.  >:D :rant: :rant:

All done - along with an oil service - and the starter sounds much happier.  Just need to get the £120 surcharge refunded by taking the bad one back to ECP.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:25 pm

sound like you had fun!  i did auto to manual conversion on e30 and front subframe change to e36 m3, both quite epic jobs at home on axle stands!  i often eye up them ramps dealerships use that lift the full car around 3 feet high and think they could be useful as a diy 4 post lift
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:36 pm

I did consider going to one of the workshops that hire them.  It would have been about £100 for the day.

There are times I would love to be back at a proper workshop with all the right hardware available 'after hours'.

Did discover that the garage that repaired the car after the front bumper was nicked (literally stolen in its entirety!) had failed to fit the new one with all of its fixings.. >:(

Might be what is causing a knock under the front in time with road surface.  They probably thought 'out of sight, out of mind so can't be arsed to get the bits!'

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Good work, and you can do that ok with your neck issues?

911 50th anniversary -

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Bits of me are stiff and shouldn't be, and I have the usual collection of scraped knuckles, bruises and soreness, but nothing serious.  Generally just happy to have got the job done successfully  :)

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:03 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Bits of me are stiff and shouldn't be
[/quote]

Whatever turns you on ....

911 50th anniversary -

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:18 pm

[quote="pvr"]
[quote="X5Sport"]
Bits of me are stiff and shouldn't be
[/quote]

Whatever turns you on ....
[/quote]

Damn....  Got there before me.......

>:D :'(
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)