Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre repair gunk

Non BMW X-Series related discussion
gmc15

Tyre repair gunk

Post by gmc15 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:19 pm

My Son got a puncture in his Seat Leon a couple of days ago. The car has no spare but just a can of tyre repair gunk. He used this but the hole must have been too big for it to work. He had to get recovered home on a breakdown truck.

I took the wheel with punctured tyre to a local tyre centre and was told that because he had used gung in the tyre it was not repairable and I had to buy a new tyre! :angry:

Just goes to show that these cost/weight saving measures are not all that good really! I am now looking out for a spare wheel for him to carry in the boot - probably just as cheap as buying another can of gunk :)
x6 M50d

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tyre repair gunk

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 20, 2016 3:43 pm

The only thing no spare does is save the manufacturer the cost and improve their emissions footprint.  It does nothing for the customer!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

chubbs

Re: Tyre repair gunk

Post by chubbs » Fri May 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Recently, I had a can of tyre repair gunk that was just about to go out of date, so I thought I'd test it on my wheelbarrow inner tube. I also sprayed a load into an old tin can to see what it did over a period of time. What a pile of rubbish it turned out to be! It didn't mend the hole in the inner tube (it was a small hole) and when it was in the tin can it fizzed around for a bit and then, within 15 minutes it had turned into a thin, milky liquid which wouldn't seal a hairline crack in a mosquito's thingie.

In my opinion, a spare wheel is the only solution to a non-runflat puncture. Has ANYONE used it successfully?