Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mk6 golf battery low

Non BMW X-Series related discussion
Pinewood

Mk6 golf battery low

Post by Pinewood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 am

Sons golf has been standing idle over the Xmas period. Tried starting it today and nothing. Still able to operate the central locking doors.
Should I
1. buy a cheap old school charger
2. Use the jump leads across my X3 to his
3. Buy a fancy (expensive)  ctek intelligent charger

Until now, his battery has been fine as it only stands still a day or 3 at most.

Your opinions would be helpful.
If I do use my car to jump start his, where would the points be? (across battery in rear, or points under bonnet)
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

snrbrtsn

Re: Mk6 golf battery low

Post by snrbrtsn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:31 am

I’m one of those buy cheap buy twice types,
I’d buy a ctek intelligent charger, though selfishly making sure you choose buy a model with high enough amperage to cover the x3 as well
The benefits of the correct charger being it shall notify you if a new battery is required

Re jump starting, use the under bonnet connections

My ctek mxs7.0 has paid itself time and time again, primarily on X5 garden ornament though recently on neighbours garden ornament, the benefit of the model is the reconditioning cycle that takes a day or two! Though does restore things moreso as we both know the cause is ultimately lack of use

Pinewood

Re: Mk6 golf battery low

Post by Pinewood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for that. I will go ahead and buy a ctek intelligent charger. We got the car going and he is out on a 20 minute run, which is difficult for him, as I asked him to stay local and turn OFF the stereo :-)
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.