Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mercedes E -Class 59 plate

Non BMW X-Series related discussion
AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Mercedes E -Class 59 plate

Post by AW8 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Sorry to hear re potnetial rehoming sadness Turks.....Dobermans great dogs & far more trustworthy than many guard breeds.

Ironic as I was going to suggest to Sanj his FIL may wish reduce risk of repeat crime by getting a Doberman & a tidy W124 estate, (min depreciation, well built, comparatively little to go wrong).
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Guys and lovely lady,

Thanks for all your comments - wife doesn't think I'm so sad anymore when I showed her this thread last night. She was very touched. I've given the in-laws a little breathing space today and will be visiting them in the morning. See how they are. All suggestions are being logged - gonna see what they say. See what the insurance company said too!

Knowing FIL he'll not want a repeat of this and settle for a more moderate runabout - no prestige makes, me thinks. Shame if it is that way, thieves would have won psychologically too then. :thumbsdown:

Many thanks once again, all of you.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 pm

Just an update to this thread...

FIL got an excellent settlement (more than the vehicle value, we paid for - we did fight for it though) and reflective of current value, minus a few quid...
BUT, he has surprised me and in a good way and said he'd like to get another! Considering all security aspects for future ownership.

So the hunt is on for something above the SE spec, Avantgarde is ideal and 60 plate onwards (newest had the iPod full integration, unless you get an earlier one with Nav). Has to be grey and not crazy mileage for such a young car. Monies around the £26k (lucky man, but he's worked all his life for it :)).

Soooo, just in case we miss one, someone might know somebody that might be, etc, etc - keep an eye out for me please. Would love to see a happy ending to this one for him...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Glad he got acceptable settlement.....

Please be mindful of my prior expressed genuine concerns if there is an abscence of target hardening &/or concealment measures.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Always at the back of my mind buddy - plus FIL is aware of these thoughts. I quoted you! :D

We're going for 'fort knox' attitude! Seriously, he intends to be much 'wiser' this time, taking into account every bit of advice he has received from all angles. Some of which he has already acted upon.

I look forward to posting up pics of the next E-Class, albeit a little way away...

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:10 am

Glad to hear he is getting back on the horse after a fall. Good to hear he got a good settlement too!

Something I have installed on the drive at the Chippy is a lockable drop bollard. It can be a PITA when you have to be out in the rain to drop it out of the way before you can move your car but it is another thing for theives to overcome...

If you are lazy though and have the cash you could go for a hydraulic one which is off a remote! :evil:

Something like from here... a few hundred quid will get you a nice looking Stainless Steel one.

Bollards...

I will be fitting Auto Rising Bollards when I start delivery service.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:27 pm

I can only echo your sentiments re the bollards Turks......I've got 20 of the things fitted to my private parking areas at home - couldn't afford the hydraulic versions :evil: my orrible neighbours would otherwise be all over my private parking. Plus I've got my motorhome locked up behind the bollards - they'll take a good bit of angle grinding to destroy if anyone has intentions of stealing anything :D

Sanj, they're well worth the £120 or so - they need a 2ft hole in the ground and some quickset cement, job done. Obviously safety of persons in house also of great importance, so those aspects should be considered as well as wannabe car thieves of hi-spec motors will go to great lengths sometimes if its not easy......not meaning to scare anyone just considering all aspects... :cry:
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Good result though.

I can thoroughly recommend the CCTV route though - even my latest camera has already recorded an incident from a builder that he denied (damage).
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks guys/ladies, this is an ongoing saga now... :roll:

FIL has had eye op to remove cataract in one eye, the other is to be assessed and op'd on in the next few month (all going well). I've/we've/THE boss have talked him round into waiting until all is sorted on that front before going for another E-Class. In the meantime, safety and residual values will get him into an AvantGuarde with more options (plus newer perhaps).

Plus he has no option but to go for all the suggestions below FIRST - the barrier, CCTV, floodlights, alarm to house and tracker now a MUST! Otherwise he doesn't get it!

Many thanks and I reckon I'll be updating close to Christmas again - all going well!

Imy

Post by Imy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Sanj was there any outcome to this? Did your FIL get the Merc he wanted?