Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mercedes E -Class 59 plate

Non BMW X-Series related discussion
Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Mercedes E -Class 59 plate

Post by Sanj » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Can anyone help me with iPod connectivity on the newsest E-Class Mercs please?

Not being familiar with them, I'm helping my father-in-law buy one tomorrow (fingers crossed). He had 3 requests: xenons, bluetooth and iPod connectivity.

He's 60 now and with his diabetes he has to watch out for the slight loss in sight. All good but xenons just make him safer at night - shame when I checked the car it didn't have them (even though advertised) but hids4u reckon £150 should sort that out. We'll see....

The bluetooth looks real good in its intergration (will report back when I've had a play) and then there's the iPod connectivity.

Appealing to anyone who has first-hand knowledge of this but all there is in the glove box is a 3.5mm aux connection. What would I get from this, just sound? Would anything pop-up on the on-board screen - it has a 5.8" screen to the left of the dash. Will he have to use the controls on the iPod to change tracks, etc? Will any steering controls work - heard track forward/reverse and volume may work???

Also, (last one) can I get a lead from Mercedes that would overcome any shortfalls?
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

rconwa11

Re: Mercedes E -Class 59 plate

Post by rconwa11 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 pm

m8 i cant see u getting any control over the ipod from just a 3.5mm jack....

regarding the HIDs is that not pottentially false advertising and therefore a point of haggle with regards to the new wheels !???

regards

richard

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Agree on the 3.5mm jack - don't expect anything but sound from that.

Regards the Xenons, I'm not fussed - we have a really good deal here worth a lot more. In his favour they were described as 'apative' and when I phoned and asked it was him who said they were Xenon. Thought that meant they would turn with the steering. Not the advert really - but my father-in-law is really happy with what seemed out of his reach and the seller is a real nice bloke too.

2 years warranty should keep him safe...

He's already said he'll see how he gets on without the Xenons before I get my screwdiver out on it!!! :lol:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:27 am

Agreed re the jack as it can not send signals over that (i.e. sound only).

The 59 plate series Mercs are actually decent looking for a change, they went through a stage of really ugly cars. You know the requirements .... pics :D
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:39 am

Does it have a CD Changer? There must be some sort of iPod integration available for the Merc range?

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks guys for the responses. Pics later today if we get it and it stops raining!

There is a single CD slot in the unit up front, will check but don't think it has one in the boot. This is the basic model to be honest.

Even the 'leather' is described as artificial in the brochure! But it is a good looking car and perfect for him. He doesn't need bigger alloys or the AMG kit.

The music system is good (enough for him) and it is a very clean, modern environment to sit in. The grey finish to the interior helps brighten the car up (which will help with his vision). Got very lucky with this one...

Keep you posted...

Minda

Post by Minda » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Sounds great, is it the new shape or one of the last of the old?
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:39 pm

New shape bud.

Update: Looks like it is happening today too, chaps instigated!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Here you go...

Taken off the phone so not the best.

Minda

Post by Minda » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

:thumbsup: V-Nice :thumbsup:
Hope the FIL enjoys!
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:49 am

Was too good to be true...

Stolen last night - broke in, took the keys and then the car.

Not that anyone can help but VIN of OY59 BVT if you see it (probably in a carrier on it's way to the the middle-east by now)...

Needless to say FIL is completely gutted. :(

He knows at least nothing else taken (he thinks) and no one hurt.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:17 am

Yuck :(

So common nowadays

No tracker?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 am

Oh Sanj what a PITA, not surprised you FIL is gutted. This type of car offen will be hidden for a few days before being moved on, to check if a Tracker is installed in it. By the the time it hits the road again you may be in luck with an ANPR hit.
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks chaps - gonna try and get hold of FIL, he's busy with home insurance people, car insurance people, forensics, everyone...

Hope it has a tracker but think not.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Sorry to hear of this - hope family ok & not too freaked out by this.

Easy enough to say but it's only metal....................others have met a sticky end disturbing folk trying to steal their car(s).

I don't want to worsen the situation but whoever took it might return again in future if another similar & newish Merc replacement arrives on the drive. I would thus give serious consideration as to the merits of replacing like with like, (in abscence of genuinely reducing risk of being a repeat victim).

I wont elaborate further as I am sure emotions area all a bit raw.................PM or call me if you wish.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.