Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking at buying an X3

You can sell anything in here, Cars, BMW X-Series related items. Please set a price for your item, don't just ask for offers.
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Looking at buying an X3

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:01 pm

I have a trusted Subaru Forester at my home in Greece but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now at 180k miles.

I'm contemplating an X3 as a replacement, ideally it would be diesel, ideally sport spec with nav, and a white/silver body. Less than or close too 100k and circa £3k. Bodywork doesnt need to be pristine, the locals will soon compromise it anyway, but no actual accidents damage. Corner scuffs are a part of life in Greece as are door dings but i dont really want to start new to me ownership with a vehicle looking bad.

EBay has a few but I'd prefer to buy from an owner not a dealer. Obviously my wants criteria is flexible thougn no dark colours and I think a 3.0l petrol would prove prohibitive, fuel is expensive in Greece.

I am in no rush, i'll wait for the right vehicle, this is early preparation for next year's travelling.
Last edited by sapphireblack on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Looking at buying an X3

Post by Horizon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:40 pm

DONT DO IT !!!!!!!!
Biggest piece of junk BMW ever put their name too.
Worst car I've ever owned, and mine cost me 9k and was an 2009.
Honestly, you will regret it 😬😬😬😬
Keep the Subaru, it will be more reliable.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Well thats pretty concise :) :rofl:

I am aware early models were subcontractor built in Poland?? and there were some issues, but that bad?

Perhaps i do need to re-think :driving:

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Compared to the E53 which was discontinued in early 2006, ( loved mine , should have kept it longer ) after a long run using 1990's tech, the X3, E83 still kept a lesser quality product going until 2010 !!!
There's a lot better old SUV's out there for the same money, that are basically Bullet proof.
I bought a Mitsubishi Challenger in the 90's N reg, we sold it to one of the wife's friends many years ago.
It's still towing a 2 horse trailer every weekend to different shows around the country , over 10years after we sold it, an apararantly, flies through its MOT every year,and has never let them down
I must admit, it won't put a smile on your face as a drivers car, but if my life depended upon it to get me across a desert, and the choice was an E83 or a shogun, I know what I would pick 👍
There's lots of choice in the X3 size range
Outlander, Rav3, Santa Fe , Suzuki Grand vitari , etc
I think in Greece, unlike in the UK, practicality is more important than a ( prestige 😬)badge .
Good luck with your search :D

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:23 am

I read plenty of negative comments about the E83 when I was looking to buy an X3. I don't think it would have put me off if I was only intending to spend £3k. I'm not sure the following is 100% relevant, given that I have never owned an E83, but here goes.....

Personally, given your comments about the life your chosen car is likely to live in Greece, I wouldn't have a problem dropping that kind of money on an E83 - but with 3 provisos........... Make sure it has documented comprehensive service history. Have the transmission serviced as a priority. Avoid cars with staggered wheels, or (even with a square set-up) that haven't had tyres replaced in sets.

BTW, they weren't built in Poland. It was Austria, by Styer. :thumbsup:

And can I just ask............... What's with the bloody enormous emoticons???????? :o
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:49 pm

The enormous emojis are not intentional, just happened since the Forum changed to the new format.
I don't post usually since it changed to the new forum, so havnt bothered trying to sort out the settings.
I was in on my own last night and having polished off a bottle of wine, maybe shouldn't have been venting my opinion on you guys about my dissatisfaction with my former E83 !
Sorry . No emojis this time

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Horizon wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:49 pmmaybe shouldn't have been venting my opinion on you guys about my dissatisfaction with my former E83
Why ever not? Forums should offer both sides of the coin. You could well be right in what you're saying. In fact, you probably are.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 pm

👍 :D
Sorry for the over size emojis

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Just realised that if I pick my emojis from my iPad choices, they are super size, the other was from the forums choices and was normal size. I will know for future.
On a different note, I'm test driving a 2011 Mercedes ML350 TDI tomorrow, please speak up anyone who has had one , and let me know if it's a bad move.
Got a Kia Sorento 2010 at the moment, and it hasn't missed a beat in Two years, but as we tow a twin axle caravan at close to 2 tons, the MK2 Sorento is rated at 2 ton tow, as its auto, the manual is 2.5 ton
Same chassis, !!!!
nose weight is only 75KW, but on the manual is 100 kW
Crazy, it has Self levelling suspension and tows like a dream 196 BHP.
ML rated at 3500 KG ( would keep me legal )
Fancied an E70 LCI but was scared off because of transfer box problems and prop shaft problems as well as DPF and glowplug/ glowplug relay problems.
I was a BMW fan for over 20 years and have had several BMW's so don't like to look like someone who is disrespecting the brand.
Any ML nightmares, please advise :roll:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Ironic you should bring up ML model MBs I was contemplating a 270 for my cheap car quest earlier today. Never had an MB, it's been BMWs for some years now as a principal vehicle, probably over twenty myself :o

The problem with cheap vehicles is they're cheap for a reason. High miler luxury cars tend to come with open wallet demands, so Toyota Rav 4s came into focus, there's a dealer on the island too but many seem to be very high milers. Good to know theyre capable but i dont want to buy others miles, I'd prefer to add my own.

The search continues or ill just keep the Subaru another year or so :)