Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pirelli Run flat tyres ? 225/45 R 18 91V

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
BOBW

Pirelli Run flat tyres ? 225/45 R 18 91V

Post by BOBW » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:12 pm

:xmaswink:
Due to change this week after first 20K , more expensive than most at £650 for 4.  Have wondered if I should think about regular tyres?
Any opinions welcome.
cheers
bob.

Cyruskint

Re: Pirelli Run flat tyres ? 225/45 R 18 91V

Post by Cyruskint » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 pm

New guy here.
My X1 has had the Pirellis for 50k, but the backs were down to 2 mm when I got it last month. I have opted (As I did with my E91) to go the Regular route.
For the X1 I chose Goodyear F1 asymmetric 2  tyres - much cheaper and have made a huge difference to the car - eg no twitching on mid-corner bumps; no tramlining on seams & white lines and more compliant ride. It is true that the RFT's are pretty good in their latest form - when new. But as the profile wears and esp down around 3mm the whole thing becomes a bit tiresome (no pun intended)
I keep a BMW jack and motorcycle-type puncture repair kit in the boot
I hope this helps!

Gregost

Post by Gregost » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Have you got a quote from asda tyres, black circles is also another good on line web site, they both offer many different options at a far better price than the normal tyre retailers, and the best bit, your local tyre fitters fit them for you.
By the way following advice on numerous different forums I think I will be changing to non run flats, the same as BMW has on its latest cars, if it makes the turn in a little softer, which is all the difference it appears to make, then I think I can live with that. I would have fitted run flats if they were repairable after a puncture, but as they aren't ypu may as well fit standard tyres and carry a can of sealant, and put the £150 saving in your pocket.
Last edited by Gregost on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Just one comment to add. 

RFTs are repairable depending upon the position and type of damage as well as how long they were driven on when 'flat'.  I've had repairs done and never had any further trouble to the point that the tyres wore out and were then replaced.

Not everywhere will do them (citing manufacturers reasons) but they certainly can be fixed.  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

DiscusbT

Post by DiscusbT » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 pm

My x3 has Pirelli RF, and I don't think that I shall change to NRF, as I did with my e61. That change made a tremendous difference to ride and handling, and 18% more mpg. However quite happy with RF on this car, and of course there is no where to stow a spare.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:55 am

Washing the car yesterday, discovered a small nail on the very edge of the offside front.  No tyre pressure loss, so i will leave it there for today, and remove it tommorow just in case i need a new tyre.  I can't remember which forum member said rft's are more prone to picking up punctures/debris, but i think he is RIGHT!
This is my second nail in 8 weeks of ownership.  I can't remember a time in my driving history (33 years) that i have had such an issue.
I really need to consider the ride/road noise/puncture frequency/cost over regular 19" tyres.  #miffed
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.