Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie with a 2011 23D

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
bells0

Newbie with a 2011 23D

Post by bells0 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:46 am

Hullo!!

Not many places on the net for lowly X1 owners it seems, hope there is some action on here?

Bought my used 23D last week, enjoying it so far. MPG is a shock compared to the official figures, but it does fly when you poke the go peddle!!

After some advice on what my car can actually do media wise!!

It has the 606 Business Nav and a cradle in the armrest. Unfortunately no music usb at the front, just an aux in. Does have advanced bluetooth, so at least i can stream from my windows phone.

I wrongly assumed i could buy a media cradle and use a use an ipod classic extension cable to connect to my ipod classic and it all work through idrive [seen someone do it on the net] - doesn't work :( Not sure if it's the wrong cradle or it my car just won't do this?

My options list is this:

6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6VC CONTROL COMBOX
606 NAVIGATION SYSTEM BUSINESS
612 BMW ASSIST
615 EXTENDED BMW ONLINE INFORMATION
616 BMW ONLINE
620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM
633 PREP.MOB. PH. BUSINESS BLUET.INTERF.
698 AREA-CODE 2
8SC COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF TELESERVICE

Any ideas chaps? Confusing as hell wondering what will work with this car. Don't want to spend anymore money on cradles etc if it won't work [hopefully sell the media 308 cradle back on ebay].

Cheers!

bells0

Re: Newbie with a 2011 23D

Post by bells0 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:11 am

Attached are pics of the screen settings :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:43 pm

The 'media' capability needs the full USB enhancements that are now available.  The video etc is sent via the USB system not the Bluetooth so without those options the full media cradle will offer you very little other than charging and connectivity to an external aerial.

I got caught out too on my X due to the Dealer not understanding the dependency upon USB for the media cradle.  Too many options, too little dealer knowledge!! 
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bells0

Post by bells0 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Yup, the more I've read about this, the more gutted I am I didn't get one with Pro Nav and the Usb connection.

Never mind, there weren't many 23d's with low mileage in my price bracket. Still a fun car to drive and the Bluetooth streaming works very well.

Cheers for info, it was your post regards dealers not knowing that brought me to this Forum!

splang

Post by splang » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Sorry to jump in- my x5 has the HDd sat nav (2011 build) and a usb input in glovebox and centre console. It also has the ability to take cradles in the centre bit. So if I get an iPhone 6 one I might be able to have apps and video from iPhone on main screen do you think?
Thanks
S

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Not without the full functionality, USB hub, wiring, fibre network connectivity etc.  You need the hardware first and then the software licence 'enabled' in the CIC system.

The cradle connects to the underlying options and allows you to make use of them but it doesn't add anything except a cradle.

BMW Apps is an added costly option, as is USB, as is Enhanced USB, as is Smartphone Integration.  Most of them cannot be 'officially' retrofitted by BMW though there are people who can source the right hardware and re-code the functions.  Even then it isn't straightforward.

Unfortunately it makes no difference about what iPhone (or other smartphone thingy) you might have if the control kit isn't already in the car to use it, and from what is being described that is the underlying issue here.  The critical bits are not physically present.

BMW are very good at toys, bad at understanding what they sell, and worse about allowing in place updates/upgrades!  >:(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Cyruskint

Post by Cyruskint » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Nice looking car.
The x-line body additions were one of the options that persuaded me to purchase mine. I think it enhances the appearance greatly.
I thought the Prof. radio and "shark fin" meant I had blue tooth connectivity - doh!  :-[