Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X1 2012 Heater Problem

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
DMac69

X1 2012 Heater Problem

Post by DMac69 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 am

Hi All

I am new to this forum so apologies if this not the correct forum to be posting this question, but I'm looking for some advice and see if anyone else has the same problem as I'm having.

Last year I purchase a used X1 (2012 X1 XDRIVE18D M SPORT) and although have been reasonably happy with it, there is one particular issue that has been an on-going issue since this was purchased and have never came across this in any other vehicle I have owned, including other BMW’s.

When the climate temperature is set via the Temperature control unit, the temperature selected is correct at the Window Glass and/or Footwell, area, however, the temperature blowing on the Upper Body Area is always colder and although this has not been an issue during the summer, during the winter months I have to ensure that the Upper Body Area is never selected as is too cold to drive comfortably.

I have reviewed the BMW User Manual and there is no mention of an expected difference in temperature in each of these areas, and have returned the car twice to the garage I purchased from, where I was initially informed that there was no issue or difference, but when pressed and took car back again, they did confirm that the technician found a difference in the temperature although was expected and was “perhaps a safety feature”, and on the invoice it was stated that “No defect found when checked heaters blowing as per characteristic of model design no fault found at time".

When I contacted them to clarify this characteristic I was told in an email that “This information was cascaded through the BMW Training Group Academy to our vehicle technicians, therefore we have no printed literature that we can provide“.

I have contacted BMW direct but they were of even less use and said I should go back to the garage I bought it from, but since I don't believe what they are telling me, i.e. the car has been designed to blow colder on Upper Body Area I thought Id try here first before going back to the garage.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be blowing colder on upper body but as expected on Window Glass and/or Footwell ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards
Drew

DiscusbT

Re: X1 2012 Heater Problem

Post by DiscusbT » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:07 am

Not familiar with the x1, but on all my previous 5 series and my x3 there is a control wheel to select the temperature of the air from the mid level vents, towards blue for colder, towards red for warmer. Or have I misunderstood?

DMac69

Post by DMac69 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi

Thanks for the response. Sorry for not being clearer.

On the X1 there is one Climate Control unit and the one temperature is set for all areas from there. So say I set the temp to 23 degrees, warm air blows towards the windscreen and the footwell, but the upper body blows cold, but I would expect this to be the same temp

Thanks
Drew

DiscusbT

Post by DiscusbT » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Had a look at the 2012 x1 manual. My guess is that it is designed so that you can only get cool air out of those vents.

DMac69

Post by DMac69 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be a pain, what part of the manual did you see that showed these vents are meant to be cold ?

GMD

Post by GMD » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 pm

The thing I find annoying is it needs to be on 28 degrees to be hot. Anything below is cold  >:(

DMac69

Post by DMac69 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks for the info, at least it seems to be not just me as unless the temp is at max, its cool ! Think that something like this should be clearly described in the user manual !