Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2012 Auto 2.0d sDrive running temp

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Morganlad

2012 Auto 2.0d sDrive running temp

Post by Morganlad » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi guys,

Having an odd problem. I know that we don't have water temp gauges, but I'm looking via the OBD port at the temp.

I can drive for a good 20 minutes, with a fairly steep hill to climb, before the water temp gets to 80 degrees. It has an 88degree stat in both the bottom hose and gearbox oil heat transfer thing by the oil filter.

The thermostats open and close when they should, there's no water bypassing them at all. all of the temp senders are doing what they should. In fact I've replaced all to make sure. BMW uk can't help, and neither can my local dealer.

I'm fairly certain that a modern diesel should run anywhere between 90 and 105 degrees so I'm a little confused! I'm also worried that it won't be helping with any of the DPF regens, eventually resulting in a clog!! I'm also fairly certain that this is the reason I'm finding it difficult to get over 42mpg when the official figures are close to 60mpg.....

Has anyone seen what temps your cars are running at? I'm really interested to know what other people are getting.

Cheers

Jamie

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: 2012 Auto 2.0d sDrive running temp

Post by Horizon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm running a 3.0 petrol at the moment, takes an age to warm up to operating temperatures.
Once up there it stays at around 97 degs.
Usually with a knackered thermostat once the desired temperature is reached, if you start going down a long decent, or on the motorway the stat will not close and the water/oil temperature will drop off again as the system is over cooled.
Once up there it should stay between 95 /110 degrees.
Mine can take 15 miles to get up there if I'm not thrashing it.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Different car, but my new Skoda Superb with a 2-litre diesel has an oil temp gauge and it takes about 12 miles to get to 97°C on these cold mornings.  Fuel economy is nowhere near stated either.

Our 2-litre Mini Countryman did 42mpg against the stated 65mpg.

Typically, expect 25-35% differences between lab test and real world on BMW.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Morganlad

Post by Morganlad » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Cheers for the replays,

I'm not too worried about the mpg in all honesty, just that it takes ages to even get to 80degrees. I'm more worried about the possibility of damaging the DPF!:)

It seems as though maybe mine us a little slow. I would've be happy to see 97degrees for oil in 12 mins, as the water temp would be there sooner! It's so frustrating!

Still an awesome car though....