Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wanting a Navigation System / iDrive for X1

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
JaseUK

Wanting a Navigation System / iDrive for X1

Post by JaseUK » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and just registered today.
I own an X1 xDrive 2.0d MSport (2012) which I do like but it does have its niggles. I have owned the car for nearly a year now.
The car doesn't have a sat nav fitted and has the glove box type system fitted to the dashboard.
I was wondering has anyone had a navigation system fitted afterwards and if so is it best to go straight to the bmw dealership or are there other places that would fit one for me?
I am not sure if the dial system that sits next to the handbrake is called the iDrive system, if so will I need that too?
thank you
Last edited by JaseUK on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wanting a Navigation System / iDrive for X1

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:34 pm

BMW will charge you a massive figure to do the work, and then only if it is available as a retrofit.  On the old E53 X5 it was thousands in labour alone!  Most of the interior had to be removed to lay in new modules, looms, hardware and code it all together.  For the full iDrive you are talking a complete CIC (Car Infotainment Computer) install.  That also needs licence keys bought from BMW as well.  One licence key per 'function' you want.

If no retrofit kit is available few if any dealers will touch it as they won't have the expertise.  Have a look in Realoem which is a copy of the BMW parts database.  Use the last 7 of your VIN in the serial number box and see if a kit is offered.  If it is, have a stiff drink before ringing a Dealer! 

I've had a quick look at Realoem and can't see a retrofit kit, but I may not had the right variant or production month (from the label under the bonnet) as you need that not the registration date without the VIN.  The system has a lot of parts!

There are companies that supply kits, but I don't know if the X1 is listed.  Look for Bimmertech on line.  They certainly used to offer kits.

Also have a look at BMWCoders dot com as there might be someone in there who has done it.

TBH you'll get a more advanced Satnav from Garmin for the price of just the BMW database update, or buy an X1 with everything already fitted..... :(
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

JaseUK

Post by JaseUK » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:45 pm

thanks for the reply X5Sport. I did think it wouldnt be cost effective but I thought I would ask the question. Its the wife that mentioned it I was just doing the price checking.  :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:54 pm

You're :hi:

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:08 pm

[quote="JaseUK"]
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and just registered today.
I own an X1 xDrive 2.0d MSport (2012) which I do like but it does have its niggles. I have owned the car for nearly a year now.
The car doesn't have a sat nav fitted and has the glove box type system fitted to the dashboard.
I was wondering has anyone had a navigation system fitted afterwards and if so is it best to go straight to the bmw dealership or are there other places that would fit one for me?
I am not sure if the dial system that sits next to the handbrake is called the iDrive system, if so will I need that too?
thank you
[/quote]

After market systems are available as a bolt on system, fitted one to the X5 E53 , and the Golf. Available for the X1. Read up on them. I'm not endorsing this product and have no knowledge of the one I've linked.
Please do research first if you intend to buy any listed on the Internet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/381332230822
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

celica

Post by celica » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Are modern car sat nav any good. Or improved?
Does it do full post code etc.?

To be honest a garmin or smart phone will be better

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:38 pm

The after market satnav systems are full 7 digit postcode ready, I've had IGO 8 satnav software in 2 cars and it blows the BMW system out of the water.

Edit, I havnt tried the second generation IDrive sat nav software yet, so can't comment, it's supposed to be a lot better than Gen 1.
But as said not an economic retro fit.
Last edited by Horizon on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gobiman

Post by gobiman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:18 am

My Mother-in-law has just bought a 2013 X1 which doesn't have the satnav/idrive controller.
I had a quick look at retrofit (primarily for a rear view camera) but it is simply wholly uneconomic even if you could find someone to attempt it.
When the car turns up next week, I will measure the glovebox and see if a tomtom/garmin(probably a smaller model) will fit in there neatly. Easy for the lead and hopefully the whole unit can stow there when not in use.
4.8iS 2004 Le Mans Blue
Z1 1989 Top Red
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:18 pm

[quote="gobiman"]
My Mother-in-law has just bought a 2013 X1 which doesn't have the satnav/idrive controller.
I had a quick look at retrofit (primarily for a rear view camera) but it is simply wholly uneconomic even if you could find someone to attempt it.
When the car turns up next week, I will measure the glovebox and see if a tomtom/garmin(probably a smaller model) will fit in there neatly. Easy for the lead and hopefully the whole unit can stow there when not in use.
[/quote]

Rear view  cameras for aftermarket head units  are very cheap or as expensive as you want to make them.
I fitted one on the Golf, the £15 one lasted a few months, the £45 one lasted the other 18 months I had the car.
Idiot proof to fit too. Dont dismiss aftermarket units.
I use a TomTom unit every day in my job as a mobile service engineer, the worst bit of frequent / daily use is having to take the Portable unit off the windscreen then back on 5/6 times a day.

DiscusbT

Post by DiscusbT » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:35 pm

A friend just fitted a rear view camera to his Subaru. Don't know the make, but it comes with a mirror that clips over your RVM. When he showed it to me, in sunlight it was impossible to see the picture, and was very small.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:41 pm

My car has the 2nd gen iDrive and it has full 7 digit postcode.  It asked me tonight if i wanted to use an alternative route as jct 12-14 of the M25 were at a standstill.  Got me home via another route quicker than the original planned from Brighton!  :)
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:13 pm

[quote="Pinewood"]
My car has the 2nd gen iDrive and it has full 7 digit postcode.  It asked me tonight if i wanted to use an alternative route as jct 12-14 of the M25 were at a standstill.  Got me home via another route quicker than the original planned from Brighton!  :)
[/quote]
Yes good service, but this is all available via Google maps, and all other internet available Satnav providers including Wase. ( Free )
BMW as well as other car manufacturers shouldn't class this simple, readily available technology as a £1K accessory.
My friends wife has  just ordered a Nissan Juke on PCP with eagle eye 360degree camera and Satnav for about £170 PCM, probably won't be an exciting, hold on to you hat drive, but tech is cheap these days.
You no longer have to buy the latest Merc S drive to get the latest tech, as they are advertising the 2016 Toyota Yaris comes with collision avoidance control, which doesn't seem that long ago was being announced to the press as revolutionary by Mercedes on the latest S class.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 pm

All true.  I was just sharing my view that 2nd gen iDrive and sat nav is finally up to the task,  and beats having to fit/remove a tomtom every journey.  I use satnav a lot for my job
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:18 pm

[quote="DiscusbT"]
A friend just fitted a rear view camera to his Subaru. Don't know the make, but it comes with a mirror that clips over your RVM. When he showed it to me, in sunlight it was impossible to see the picture, and was very small.
[/quote]
Yes they look good on the EBay adds, but in real life are unusable. More dangerous infact as you are concentrating on the tiny screen instead of through the rear window.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 am

My 2011 version of the iDrive reroutes, and uses 7-digit postcodes.  I always have dynamic routing on.  The 2005 E53 system rerouted fine, it just wasn't able to handle the postcodes because the mapping system was never set up to do it.  BMW didn't bother because the UK is the only country to use it.

I use a Garmin in mine because it has the DAB based TMC system which updates every 30secs.  TMC on Classic FM has a 20-minute cycle.

I agree the price of the OEM systems is ridiculous, although in the Skoda it includes TV, Satnav, Touchscreen control of the car settings, DAB, DVD playback, Multimedia (inc video) from SD/SDXC cards as well.  Came with the car and not as an expensive add-on.