Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New X1 DRL or "Halo" lights?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
DavidUK

New X1 DRL or "Halo" lights?

Post by DavidUK » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi all.

Looking for a small SUV for my wife and so far the new X1 is winning. However...

Sytner salesman told me ALL X1s have Halo DRLs but today I saw a Sport (exhaust each side) with no model designation which had single lamps at the bottom of each headlight, as under (photo from Google)...

I suspect the car was a 18d SE, and on the BMW site about running lights for this model:
"Halogen headlights
Headlight beam-throw control Follow-me-home function
LED daytime driving lights with two directly-emitting light sources in each headlight"
(from: http://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/market ... 014749.pdf )

Lower down this page it explains the xLine model gets LED Headlights, but no mention of any change for Sport or MSport models. Do I take it the latter two models have the crappy lamps as above and only LED has Halo? I'm after an xDrive 20d Sport.

If not, what model gets what DRL and where is this information from BMW please?

Many thanks for any help.

PS. This will be our 10th BMW!

DavidUK

Re: New X1 DRL or "Halo" lights?

Post by DavidUK » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:03 pm

OK, I can answer it now (no thanks to BMW). SE page of X1 brochure. Picture 02 shows little lamps:

Sport and others show Halo lamps (pan to the right of page):

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I have noticed more and more BMWs with this twin LED DRL in place of the halo.  I just assumed it was the 'new look' but it may be the difference between HID and standard type lamps?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:18 am

Hi there. I have a new X1. Mine has halo led lights which i thought they all had..! Thought when looking a few months back that they was saying all new X1's had them but obviously i am wrong unless they have changed the specs lately ? My model is X-line 2.0 D. Got say though at night, the led lights are out this world and are so bright and white. Went on run for first time last week and it did 53.8 to gallon on 30,40,50 and 60 roads and its still running in at just 4000 miles (V-POWER FUEL), was really impressed. Your Mrs will love it im sure. I missed my old X5 at first as it seemed so small at first but the more i drive it the more i like it. I bought mine from stratstones Derby. A demo with a few miles but saved around 5k. The 8 speed auto gearbox is also very smooth which again i would say is a must. Hope you find what your looking for.
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:25 pm

SE has halogen headlights and small LED DRLs (the crap ones!).
Sport has halogen headlights and Halo DRLs
xLine and MSport have LED headlights and Halo DRLs.

MUST have Sport seats but a few xLines have them specced as an option. We tried both and I recalled the Sport seats were really good in my past BMWs too.

Auto, yes. Thinking Alpine or Mineral White.
Last edited by DavidUK on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.