Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Views on new X1 wheel sizes?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
DavidUK

Views on new X1 wheel sizes?

Post by DavidUK » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:58 pm

I think I may be correct in saying the new X1 has run flats as standard now?

Anyway, 18" standard wheels are fine but the xLine I'm looking at has upgraded wheels to 19" as under...

We had an extended test drive on the 18s yesterday and will drive this car on the 19s tomorrow. Does anyone have a long term experience of 19s on the New X1, and if so do you have run flat or non run flat tyres fitted?

Would 19s with standard tyres be more compliant than 18s with run flats? ...and other similar questions!

My car (the X1 is for my wife) is on 20s but I have active suspension management which makes them fine. Plus it's a sportier vehicle.

The xLine yesterday had standard seats also and we could feel they weren't very supportive in the bends. I expect the Sport seats in tomorrow's car (option) will add to a feeling of a firmer ride due to being held securely in place, but they are a must have in my opinion after 9 BMWs.

Any help appreciated. We've seen another xLine with 18s but it's almost £4k more (albeit newer), and Mineral White, which my wife prefers! (I like the Alpine, above).
Last edited by DavidUK on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sid10

Re: Views on new X1 wheel sizes?

Post by sid10 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi my wife has the E84 X1 with style 311 19" wheels , with sports seats (  a must have ) none runflat . We ordered the car with the standard 17" runflat tyres which drove ok but felt a bit spongy , after finding and fitting the BMW 19" wheels the car started feeling more like a well put together car , it is very good in the corners & just seems to grip on all roads  ,  being an X drive which is a must I recommend 19" wheels with none runflats ! We have 18" wheels with winter tyres once the weather drops below 7 degrees again a must in the winter .
  regards
      Sid10

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks Sid.

Yes it's xDrive xLine 20d Sport Auto. 0-60 7.6secs. God knows what that'll do to economy!

All the necessary toys on board. Looks better than the X3 or X5 I think. And, strangely, seems bigger inside than the current X3?

sid10

Post by sid10 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi yes they are a big improvement over the E84 much more purposeful looking , better economy ,  more space inside & better fit / finish , wish we had ordered ours in auto , there are lots of deals on them at the moment several of our local garages are selling delivery mileage cars with good discounts !
    One thing I would advise would be the 5 year service package , came free with ours but has saved a great deal , same one for mother in laws Audi Q5 was £1760 , BMW s one £350 .
    Another one that is over looked is the 2.3 D I think that it has been brought over from the previous model not much more either .
      Sid10

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Hi again, my X1 has y spoke 18"'s which i guess you drove. Mine do not have run flats on. Was told when looking at first they did have run flats but on day of collection was told they did not, so double check if the one you drove today did. I guess if you do drive one with run flats, they will be a firmer ride. Just check you not been getting told any cock n bull. Must admit i do like the look of the 19"'s
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Where are you based Sid?

Best offer we have on a brand new X1 xDrive xLine 20d Sport Auto is £31800 currently.

That's with: Mineral White; Sports Seats; Comfort Pack. Around £4k off list. Last week we could have bought the same at £28750 (incl. £2k dealer contribution for PCP) - a pre-reg car. But now gone. Bu**er!

The one shown above is Oct'15, 4k miles, all the above spec plus 19s; panoramic roof; sun protection glass; but no sliding rear seats with remote release (option until March '16 when it became standard). Kids have gone so no big deal on rear seats.

List was £37k now £28k so feel it's a better deal than the new one, bearing in mind its extras.

Or... preferred colour (hers) and £4k more for a £2k less value car?

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 pm

[quote="mark hamster 28"]
Hi again, my X1 has y spoke 18"'s which i guess you drove. Mine do not have run flats on. Was told when looking at first they did have run flats but on day of collection was told they did not, so double check if the one you drove today did. I guess if you do drive one with run flats, they will be a firmer ride. Just check you not been getting told any cock n bull. Must admit i do like the look of the 19"'s
[/quote]
On the configurator, if I stick with 18s the option of run flats comes up at £180. However, if I spec 19s run flats are automatically included. I would therefore hazard a guess that the 19s on the car above have run flats.

As you suggested I've emailed the dealer who loaned the car yesterday with 18s to ask whether we were on run flats or standard tyres, as they could be either.

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:55 pm

At 28k and that spec, that not be around for long..!

PREV-

Ford Focus ST3
Range Rover Sport HSE

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:44 pm

At 28k and that spec, that not be around for long..!
[/quote]

It's reserved for us. She's still banging on about Mineral White... Might be walking away!

sid10

Post by sid10 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:19 am

Hi Cumbria ,
    Blackpool , south Lakes , Carlisle , Preston , Newcastle all showing stock to get rid of best not to rush in they will all fight for business Lloyd motor group , own all of them . They also have ex management lists of cars with delivery miles on certain sites . I will have a look tomorrow if get time !
Remember the lady is always right go for mineral white if that's what she wants , you can always wait for the right one .
  Sid10

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:32 am

Mine is mineral white which i preferred but everyone to there own. I would not buy an X3 now because there is a new one due out next year. I've seen a few preview pics and reading about it, it sounds like its going to be a very good car.! Just hope i dont like it to much or i can see us swapping the X1 for one  O:-) My 5 year service pack was £475 which stays with the car now and theres no service book any more, its recorded on the cars computer which is a new way they seem to be going now.! My 1st thought was everyone will scam this in years to come but suppose you still get paper receipt with cost and whats done i suppose.

PREV-

Ford Focus ST3
Range Rover Sport HSE

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am

Sid - yes spoke to Lloyd yesterday about a Sport. Not bad, horrible red line across the dash. He said many cover with insulating tape!!  :o

Spec for brand new car through this morning. Don't like the standard wheels...

...could even be a deal breaker if they don't change them! Just need to add privacy glass - won't be as good as factory though as that's built into the glass.

Sat in a showroom X3 yesterday and thought it smaller inside than the X1. Boot not so useful either. She loves the hideaway under the boot floor. Guess new one will be bigger, but I'm sure they won't be turning the engine 90 degrees to help!

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:11 pm

[/quote]
Been to test drive the £28k one. 19" wheels look nice but kill the ride comfort...dead! That's the one thing we both first commented on. The X1 with 18s we had all day Sunday was far more compliant and comfortable. The 19s give a bobbly unsettled ride. I definitely could not live with them, full stop!

Also, wife can't get over loving Mineral White over Alpine.

What does anyone else think of the xLine standard 18s? Don't see them on many cars, and I can understand why!

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 pm

i miss my old X5 very much and as much as i loved it i don't miss the run flats one bit lol. On our 400 mile run a few weeks ago, me and the wife both agreed it was the most smoothest ride we have ever had in any of our cars we have owned but i do like those style 19" wheels lol Life can be a real bitch at times hey..!  :))

PREV-

Ford Focus ST3
Range Rover Sport HSE

DavidUK

Post by DavidUK » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:44 am

The 19s have run flats as standard and it could be just down to them, but I won't know until I've bought it, thrown away the run flats, paid £800 for non-runflats, and the ride may be no better!

On the BMW configurator the 18" standard wheels have run flats as a £180 option...

Still trying to find out if the test car from Sunday had them or not. The new car spec doesn't show the option, but the test car was fine so I'm hoping both cars are on standard tyres. NB. Yes, now been told both on non-runflats.

Options...

Driver comfort package
508 Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear 544 Cruise control with brake function
563 Extended Interior Light Package
5DP Park Assist
Sport automatic transmission
Sport seats, front
Sliding rear seat bench
Headlining, Anthracite
Last edited by DavidUK on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.