Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gear indication in Drive on an auto box

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
threeshoes

Gear indication in Drive on an auto box

Post by threeshoes » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:46 am

I'd be interested to know which gear my auto box is using on my XDrive 20i.  For 5 years I've just accepted that Drive is Drive and the only indication you'll get is if you shift the gears, but my wife now has an Audi A1 Steptronic which indicates gears in both in M and D.

Can we get the gear indication in D in a similar fashion on our BMW boxes?

Chris
F25 X3 xDrive20d xLine, Navigation Professional, Pan roof, Deep Sea Blue and black dakota leather, adaptive LED headlights, reversing camera etc . . .

snrbrtsn

Re: Gear indication in Drive on an auto box

Post by snrbrtsn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:45 am

Push the lever to the left then work through the manual box
Thereafter the car will change and indicate gear, though the box is not defaulted this way, everytime you go in and out you'll have to do the same. If you reselect auto the display will disappear.
TBH, I'm not sure if the display stay active, though believe it does and displays M1. M2 etc

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks, snrbrtsn, but that's purely manual.  I'm looking for some hack that will change the 'D' indication in Drive to show gears being used, perhaps like 'D8' to indicate 8th gear while in Drive.

Chris
F25 X3 xDrive20d xLine, Navigation Professional, Pan roof, Deep Sea Blue and black dakota leather, adaptive LED headlights, reversing camera etc . . .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:00 pm

VAG have probably patented it so BMW can't use it.  I have it in my Superb 3 and it is very useful. 

On the other hand their cruise control settings are pants!  Up/down for +/- 5mph, tip press for -1mph, pull towards for +1mph or Resume, and away for off!  BMWs system of away for faster and towards for slower is far more intuitive!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 pm

:o that sounds like an odd way to do cruise control.

Chris