Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Built in low profile Roof Rails

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
pcpistol

Built in low profile Roof Rails

Post by pcpistol » Sat May 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Good evening all.

My first post on here, I purchased a 10 plate X1 23 xDrive recently and also bought some new bars so I can attach a roof box (which I have done on other vehicles) my question is did BMW change the shape and profile of these rails at any point? I understand the obvious change in 2016.

Bought some rails and they don't fit and they are 100% for the E84.

Many thanks in advance any help would be great.

Cheers Ian

sid10

Re: Built in low profile Roof Rails

Post by sid10 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Ian the roof bars are left and right handed , front ones should have plastic aero inserts on the bottom , they should have fr and fl on fr front right , fl front left if like mine they should just twist to tighten and click down should say this way as they have an oval back piece to the twist lock that if you put it the wrong way it wont lock , rears are the same rr and rl . if you have problems send me a picture of them close up of the ends and I will try to help ! My cars gone now but still have a rear bumper bike carrier for sale , no towbar needed but you need two rear towing eyelet screw threads located behind the towing bracket covers , it was in a light bump with car behind but still works ok just slight bent from the rear push down bar cost £600 for sale for £100 .

pcpistol

Post by pcpistol » Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi, the roof bars are made by Summit and on the description it says E84 2012 to 2016. Which must be incorrect as the E84 started in 2009. The one I bought is the Summit SUM-532.

I have asked the seller some questions via email so awaiting a response, just wondering if some bits are missing. 

Just trued to attach I photo but it banned me

sid10

Post by sid10 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi Ian mine were genuine BMW roof bars , possibly look on the summit website ? Are the bars different lengths as mine were they were also slightly angled also as I once tried to fit the wrong way round which had me baffled for a while !

pcpistol

Post by pcpistol » Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have ended up buying a different set of bars. They couldn't answer why they wouldn't fit my car but have offered to refund, just meas a rush job on Friday to get the car road trip ready