Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Considering X1

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Sanqhar

Considering X1

Post by Sanqhar » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi everyone

I am cosidering buying a X1.

I hope to buy a 18 (or 20) X Line, new or very young. Four wheel drive is not a requirement. I am retired and am of an age when this could easily be my last decent car before I am forced into something small.
I have run diesels for the last 20 years (even then only two cars in that time), probably doing above 12,000 miles a year. My preference is for a diesel auto, I like the low down torque. However modern diesels come with particulate filters and consequent regenerations. My main concern is that my motoring can vary a lot. One month can consist mainly of short, under 10 mile, journeys and another add in a few dual carriageway 50 mile plus runs. I try not to interrupt a regeneration and living in a rural area a quick blast to finish the regeneration (or at least clear the excess diesel being pumped into the engine) is not a problem. My questions all revolve around this scenario.
Does the car passively regenerate?
Is then any indication, say on the instruments, that a regeneration is taking place or is needed? Do I have to look out for the fans running to know that a regeneration is taking place?

As long as I can get close to 40mpg then a petrol would not be ruled out. But as stated a diesel is my preference.

Any advice would be welcome.

Tom

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Considering X1

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:49 pm

All modern diesels only regenerate when the engine is running and the exhaust is fully up to temperature. There is no other way to generate sufficient heat. The normal cycle is every 300-400 miles. Fans are the most obvious clue, though a slightly raised idle speed and reduced economy can also be apparent whilst the cycle is underway.

My 2018 220dx Gran Tourer also uses AdBlue and I don’t think that I have ever noticed the fans running at switch off so maybe that clue is no longer so obvious. I have seen it idle at 1,000rpm occasionally though - normally it’s around 800rpm.

At 12,000 miles a year you might well be better off with a Petrol engine. I do not do many more miles but have stuck with diesels because I lease now and I just prefer the power delivery of the oil burner. Some of my journeys are 800 miles return so petrol is not (IMHO) viable, though most is a 60-mile daily commute.. All three of ours are oil burners.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sanqhar

Re: Considering X1

Post by Sanqhar » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:02 pm

X5Sport

Thanks for your insight.

The first 7 years of running my diesel Yeti I never had any problems. That is until I had the emissions “fix” two years ago. The dpf now regenerates more even though my driving pattern hasn’t changed. I think previously the car did more passive regenerations. I would like to think that the more frequent regenerations are a result of the flawed nature of the fix applied to an engine for which it was not originally designed. Under the VW Trust Building Measure guarantee they have already replaced the exhaust gas recirculation valve for free, a £1000 job. The guarantee runs out this January. I have always used premium fuels, Shell BP or Esso (and no, I don’t want to start a fuel discussion) Thus my questions regarding the dpf.

I would expect/hope that a more modern car would have a more efficient system. Perhaps the lack of replies to this thread is an indication that I shouldn’t over think using a modern diesel.

I like diesels and now with the Adblue system they are cleaner. I like the way they drive, the way the higher torque comes in at lower revs and their flexibility.

Anyone else care to chip in?

Tom