Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to adjust the parking brake

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Chrispy

How to adjust the parking brake

Post by Chrispy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi all,

My wife's X1 parking brake drum / shoes on the N/S scuff slightly when the car is moving - like there's not quite enough clearance between the drum and the shoes when the brake is released and they're touching, making a scuff scuff noise in time with the rotation of the rear wheel(s). I'm just thinking it needs to be backed off a smidgen on that side. I know for a fact it's the drum / shoes as I can worsen it by slightly applying the parking brake when moving and it makes the noise much more pronounced.

On my E91 it was easy as you removed a wheel nut, rotated the wheel and peered through the hole until you could see the shoe adjustment wheel but on this car I can't for the life of me find the adjustment wheel. The xdrive system stops me turning a single rear wheel when it's jacked up and no matter how much I shuffle the car forwards and backwards I can't see the little cog through the lug nut hole.

How is the parking brake adjusted on these cars and is there an adjustment wheel like on the E90/ 1/ 2?

Thanks,

Chris.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to adjust the parking brake

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Have a look at newtis.info. It’s an on line copy of the BMW Service Instructions. There ought to be the ‘how to’ in there :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Chrispy

Re: How to adjust the parking brake

Post by Chrispy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 am

Cheers for that. Found the article.

It is as I suspected, however just with the parking brake put into "service mode" under the handle gaiter.

Wonder if it's that part I'm missing, in terms of stopping the rear wheel(s) turning so I can find the adjustment wheel - however doing that with only a single wheel jacked off the ground still seems impossible with the 4WD system connecting them all.

Might have to take it in if access to a proper lift is needed. :(