Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X1 F48 Fitting an aftermarket HID Kit

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
stewart1809

Post by stewart1809 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:58 am

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket HID kit to a 2016 F48 model. The current bulb is a standard H7 but I'm not sure of the holding mechanism for the bulb is compatible with the HID bulb. Appreciate anyone's experience in this topic

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: X1 F48 Fitting an aftermarket HID Kit

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:55 pm

I can't personally help with specifics other than suggest you get in touch with hids-direct.com pretty helpful usually, but this isn't about just changing a bulb, it involves ballasts and wiring mods.

Cliveost

Post by Cliveost » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm

I’m 90% sure they are not legal unless you have automatic headlamp levelling. A previous car of mine had hid from the factory and had sensors fitted to the front and rear suspension to level the lights depending on the load in the car.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:14 pm

This is a 2019 thread folks……

NOTE:

Since May 2020 it has been illegal to install HID (or LED) bulbs into headlights not originally designed and approved for them. That means you now need the correct headlamp unit for HID (MOT Manual 4,1,4, updated August 2021) or it counts as an automatic major fault and therefore MOT failure. This applies to all headlamps made or first used after 01 April 1986. MOT testers will be able to tell as the headlamp units will have the code ‘DCR’ on them. You can replace the entire headlight with the correct type and that’s fine.

Headlamp self-levelling is not mandatory but must work if fitted.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.