Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bmw x5 4.8is (2005) inactive suspension

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Bmw x5 4.8is (2005) inactive suspension

Post by Horizon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 pm

When jacking up the car did you jack under the body, or under the wheel carrier.?
If. You jacked up the body the air bags / level sensors would be extended, so sending a signal via the level sensors that the air suspension was too high/ over inflated , so causing the solenoid valve / pneumatic control valve to want to open and dump air
If this hadn't happened for a while it may not have reseated properly, so causing a leak on the control / solenoid valve.
X5 Salisbury had this problem and sprayed silicone spray into the valves exhaust and cured the deflation of the bags. I would show the thread but can't get my head around this new format.
Basic pneumatics, but I work in the compressed air/ pneumatics industry as a service engineer
Looks like the valve block is inside the dome on the boot adjacent to the compressor.
I also worked on Trucks and trailers in the 90's which used all around Air suspension, so a similar system.
Take hold of the level sensor control rods that fasten to Thea les and phisically lift them independently, if the suspension lifts and lowers as you move the level sensor, all is well,
If it goes down over night, and then lift on startup, looks like the exhaust on the pneumatic valve is probably passing
Hope this all makes some since as I've had a bottle of wine 🍷

Tariq1980

Post by Tariq1980 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Ok this is all abit confusing lol does anyone have the part number for the solenoid valve block or pictures and location details.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 pm

153480119990 Look on eBay under that number and it is housed in with the compressor.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:35 am

I have tried half a dozen ways but cant get an attachment to upload?? Tried drag n drop and upload in word, PDF, and JPEG just get "Error file extension not recognised?

So this is from newtis try https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e53- ... al/EK0jtIM

It shows the 4.8 suspension system for twin axle air suspension. Take a look at the service/repair information as well it may help

If you click on the numbered headings it will take you to the relevant repair section