Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heater/ Blower Fan Stopped Working. (Location of FSR Unit?)

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
shy7g

Heater/ Blower Fan Stopped Working. (Location of FSR Unit?)

Post by shy7g » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi all just when I thought things were ticking along quietly (foolish me :headbang: ) my heater/ blower fan has decided to stop blowing.
All the electronics on the front panel seem to be working okay, but no fan??
Question: All the posts I've looked at on YouTube are of left-hand drive X5 models, so are the components on our more civilized right hand drive X5's on the opposite side to those seen in Left-hand drive models? i.e. Is the fuse box situated behind the glove-box which on our vehicles is on the L.H.S. and more importantly as the fan has stopped working, I'm going to change out the final stage resistor (hedgehog) to begin with, so is the FSR accessed up under the drivers side console or is it on the L.H.S. of the dash?
If for some reason it is actually the fan itself has anyone taken of the dashboard to get to it?
Any Advice and Moral Support Greatly Appreciated :hi: :sos:
Cheers
Rich. H

weirdfish

Re: Heater/ Blower Fan Stopped Working. (Location of FSR Unit?)

Post by weirdfish » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:36 pm

FSR is located drivers side, it's a bit tricky and most of it is done by feel.
I ended up with scratched paws and a nice stiff neck the next day, but I'm a little over 21, so not so supple as I used to be.
My advice is to buy one through bmw, good discount through this site, that way you know you're getting a good one.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:03 am

My fan just stopped but the rest all looked fine.
Bought a genuine FSR and got my nephew to fit it under my instruction as he is not very good on his own (he had it done for him until i couldn't do it any more).
It's not that hard to do took him about 15 minutes just locate it by the thick wires then get a grip on the press in tab's no screws holding it well not on my 2002 e53 diesel.
But as said above get a genuine one as the bay ones melt (my skinflint m8 bought one it melted and fell apart in 2 days).

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm

weirdfish wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:36 pm FSR is located drivers side, it's a bit tricky and most of it is done by feel.
I ended up with scratched paws and a nice stiff neck the next day, but I'm a little over 21, so not so supple as I used to be.
My advice is to buy one through bmw, good discount through this site, that way you know you're getting a good one.
LOL I've only just gone over 21 by 2.429 times :rofl: at least the insurance is a lot bloody cheaper than back then.
and I'm as supple as a a plank of 2-B-4 so maybe ask my son when he's back from uni. :roll: .
How do you go about by getting the discount from this site when purchasing through BMW?
What kinda price are the OEM BMW items as I see Meyle products offer a 2-year guarantee on theirs.
Cheers Rich

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Just message cotswold bmw through here and ask for prices, mine was about £90 if I remember correctly.

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:09 pm

weirdfish wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 pm Just message cotswold bmw through here and ask for prices, mine was about £90 if I remember correctly.
Would you by any chance have on file the part no. for the FSR unit ?
My assumption although my X5 is petrol it's also a 2002 model and the part fit's many different models of the X-series.
Cheers Rich

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Mines a 53 plate 4.6 and the part no on the invoice is B64.11.6.923.204
If you message them with your reg no you'll get the right part.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:12 pm

I changed mine twice on my E53.....a tight squeeze requires seat fully back and IIRC lying on your back in footwell legs out of car. My only observation is that the fan still worked on mine albeit lower output and running on slowly when engine & ignition off.

If no climate control display check fuse 1st....basic I know but some regard FSR change as answer to all fan issues.

x5dom

Post by x5dom » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 pm

shy7g wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 pm Hi all just when I thought things were ticking along quietly (foolish me :headbang: ) my heater/ blower fan has decided to stop blowing.
All the electronics on the front panel seem to be working okay, but no fan??
Question: All the posts I've looked at on YouTube are of left-hand drive X5 models, so are the components on our more civilized right hand drive X5's on the opposite side to those seen in Left-hand drive models? i.e. Is the fuse box situated behind the glove-box which on our vehicles is on the L.H.S. and more importantly as the fan has stopped working, I'm going to change out the final stage resistor (hedgehog) to begin with, so is the FSR accessed up under the drivers side console or is it on the L.H.S. of the dash?
If for some reason it is actually the fan itself has anyone taken of the dashboard to get to it?
Any Advice and Moral Support Greatly Appreciated :hi: :sos:
Cheers
Rich. H
Sorry. Not on here that often. Hopefully you've sorted it.

If not then before forking out on a new FSR, remove the cabin carbon air intake filter tray completely from the engine bay. Two hex nuts on outer edges, right one holds the positive for jump starts. Complete tray slides out. Now you should be able to see the twin fan through the bulkhead. Get yourself a can of WD40 Contact Spray from Halfords, comes with a directional straw. Now lie on top of the engine and spray liberally on both fans. IIRC the driver's side has holes near the centre spindle so poke that spray through there. Basically spray then spin the fans manually. Then repeat, spray and spin. Every now and then go try turning ignition on and fan. Don't give up after just a few attempts. If you are lucky you will find the fan decides to live on ;) If it does play ball, stop the fan and get some more pray in there before you put everything back together.

Dom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2005/55 E53 3.0d Sport - Sterling Grey/Dakota Black - Sports Plus Pack - 168 20s - Comms Pack - and many toys!  :)

Toy: '95 VW Corrado VR6