Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering wheel gator MOT Failure : does it contain grease or oil?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
cooa99

Steering wheel gator MOT Failure : does it contain grease or oil?

Post by cooa99 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:39 pm

One of the MOT failures on my E53 3.0d was perishing steering wheel gator on Front Pass side.

So I had a look at it and could see some oil on the floor of my driveway and can also the oily gator.

I thought the gator contains grease not oil? If it is grease wont just be around the gator and metal arms rather that  spots of oil on the floor?

I booked the car in for the MOT place (which is not a bmw independent) to change the gator .... at a cost of £100 they say.

Just wondering there if issue could be more than that which may need entrusting to a proper bmw garage?
Current Cars BMW 2005 X5 3.0d ;  Golf 2003 1.9 TDI for the High Miles Journey to work

svvg

Re: Steering wheel gator MOT Failure : does it contain grease or oil?

Post by svvg » Thu May 03, 2018 8:21 pm

If you mean the gaiters over the steering rack, then they don’t contain oil - maybe a small amount of grease - but they aren’t packed like a cv joint. If there’s oil in it then it could be a leaking power steering rack - in which case you need a new one. Have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Zedhed

Re: Steering wheel gator MOT Failure : does it contain grease or oil?

Post by Zedhed » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:46 pm

[quote="svvg"]
If you mean the gaiters over the steering rack, then they don’t contain oil - maybe a small amount of grease - but they aren’t packed like a cv joint. If there’s oil in it then it could be a leaking power steering rack - in which case you need a new one. Have you checked your power steering fluid level?
[/quote]Just like im doing at the moment.both my boots filled with steering fluid.[emoji35]

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk