Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A couple of problems to start the day rolling.

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Rick G

A couple of problems to start the day rolling.

Post by Rick G » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:49 am

As I said in my intro I will have many things to ask about so here are two.
1. The key. Although the grand masters at ze factory say the key has a lifetime battery and will recharge the 2 that I got with the car don't seem to have even one tiny bit of life and don't want to recharge. Can they be opened or what is the usual procedure and please don't say go along to my not so local dealer (170km away) and pay $409 AUD for a new key. :-[

2. There is a rather large leak of oil coming from the right side of the engine. I have so far made no attempt to even have a look but thought I might as well ask as there could be a standard answer and some known reason. Any ideas will be gratefully received.
I am a fitter by trade and do all my own work including auto transmissions and differentials so nothing is beyond me I just consider it to be all nuts and bolts.
Last edited by Rick G on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 X5 4.4l
If every thing seems to be under control then you aint goin fast enough.  Mario Andretti

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: A couple of problems to start the day roling.

Post by Horizon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 am

Firstly welcome to the forum.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 pm

MMMMM an 8 series yum yum. I did think of the cam covers as there is not much else down that right side that will leak oil. Had to change them on the M60 in my now defunct E32.
I have been fiddling with the keys to get them apart is there any special way. I can get a blade in between the two hales where the key ring goes but not wanting to be too brutal I haven't managed to get them apart yet.
2004 X5 4.4l
If every thing seems to be under control then you aint goin fast enough.  Mario Andretti

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:35 pm

This article on a outpost (US Xdrivers equivalent - sort of) might help.

I think you have to get a little ‘brutal’...

https://xoutpost.com/articles/x5/miscel ... b-e53.html
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm

I used a dremel with a thin diamond disc to cut my key open.
Don't cut too deep as you could damage the board inside.
Easy job with a soldering iron to change the battery plenty for sale on the bay.
Epoxy resin to put it back together.

V8 00USH

Post by V8 00USH » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Rocker cover gaskets tend to leak, although if you haven't noticed any oily vapours or smells coming from that side of the engine then chances are it's not this as usually the oil burns off on the manifold and you can see it.

You've also got all the oil filter housing and associated lines on that side of the engine - the o rings on these fail (I've got mine to do possibly this weekend).

Then other culprits are the front timing chain covers, the vanos solenoid seals and potentially also some kind of power steering leak.

hennabm

Post by hennabm » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:22 pm

My M54 engine had the usual oil leaks from the rocker box as well as a breather pipe from the rocker box down to the crankcase.

It also had the sump gasket leaking. This meant the front subframe lowered and a new gasket fitted.
11 3.0d X3
02 3.0l X5
82 323i
90 320i
10 116d
89 240DL
12 Punto 1.4

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 pm

I had the same issue when I picked up the car, the chap said only one key worked and assumed it was a flat battery.
All I did was re-pair the key to the car and used it for a few days and it’s been ok for the past 12 months, try the reset procedure here http://bmw-key-replacement.com/bmw-key- ... amond-key/ - you never know, it worked for me!
E53 X5 4.6is Carbon Black 2003
Mercedes CLK 320
Audi A6 Quattro 2.4

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:58 am

[quote="V8 00USH"]
Rocker cover gaskets tend to leak, although if you haven't noticed any oily vapours or smells coming from that side of the engine then chances are it's not this as usually the oil burns off on the manifold and you can see it.

You've also got all the oil filter housing and associated lines on that side of the engine - the o rings on these fail (I've got mine to do possibly this weekend).

Then other culprits are the front timing chain covers, the vanos solenoid seals and potentially also some kind of power steering leak.
[/quote]

Now that you mention it there is no smoke so the oil filter seems like a good candidate.
Thanks all for the key info between that and the oil leak it should keep me off the streets for a while.
2004 X5 4.4l