Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reverse Parking sensor problem

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
lezmtaylor

Reverse Parking sensor problem

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 am

I have a problem with my reverse parking sensors, get the continuous beep when engaging reverse which cuts out after a few seconds, exactly as described is the handbook as a fault, any ideas where to go next ?
My front sensors are not working either.
I have some spare sensors I could try, do I have to remove the bumper to do swops ?

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Reverse Parking sensor problem

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am

No bumper removal you can get your hand up to them.
Have you had your ear to them ?.

marti

Post by marti » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am

If all it does is give a long 'beeeeeeeeeeep' when reverse is selected then you most likely have a PDC sensor that has fizzled out. you can hear them click when they are working, so, ignition ON (don't start the engine) and press the 'PDC' button. As long as it is reasonably quiet day you can hear the sensors clicking by sticking your ear right up to each sensor.

Some sensors are slightly louder than others but it is reasonably easy to tell which ones are working and which ones aren't.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:22 pm

It can be a bad/dirty connection on the plug as well as a failed sensor.

ttr

Post by ttr » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Lez,

I had the same problem a few months ago and put a lengthy thread on here - try a search under my forum tag

It might help you to find the one thats faulty.

I ended up buying a stethoscope for £1.50 from ebay - found the one that was not clicking and replaced easy on the rear.

Hope this might help

Cheers
BMW X5 E53 3.0D Auto Sport 2006

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies,
1st thing ordered a stethoscope from Amazon(I am deaf in one ear and have to have a hearing aid for the other  ear ) , can be handy sometimes when ''her indoors'' is going on a bit.
Will let you know how we go.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi Lez
I have the 1.4.0 diagnostic software and it shows me "rear centre right sensor" is not working saves grubbing around trying to hear them. I know the fronts are OK as when I plug in the Horse Trailer they work. I am waiting for the replacement to arrive not so much of an issue as I have a rear view camera as well.
They have been flaky for awhile OK when dry but iffy when cold or wet, still as far as I know they could be as old as the car.
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am

Mine are as old as the car (16years) never had a problem.
I too have a rev camera,but tend to rely on the bleepers, they seem to get through the deafness problem, must be to do with their frequency.
Will wait till stethoscope arrives and investigate further.
As an aside, on Monday  got home from a 75 mile trip to a wedding in Congleton and pulled into the drive and the car dumped all its engine coolant on the drive, found it's a hose to the interior rads at back of engine from the expansion tank, it had rubbed through on the cyl head. really lucky.
A right bugger to get to,so it is now off and new hose ordered, I'm going to check and spirap all the hoses in that vicinity to negate any further problems.

Lez

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Well lucky it happening at journeys end, you see, it pays to be nice to your BMW
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am

Regards the pdc,s ,bought the stethoscope and checked them : both rear outside sensors u/s, got 2 more and fitted them - now ok.
What a bugger getting them out and fitting the new ones.

Lez