Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery going flat

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
dave48

Battery going flat

Post by dave48 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:23 am

Hi,
Can anyone help, please.
The screen goes on and off then stays off, the next day the battery is flat.
Is the battery causing the screen problem or is the screen problem causing battery to go flat?
Battery is aprox 2/3 years old and yuasa make.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks all.
dave 

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Battery going flat

Post by henrym3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Does it work ok when the engine is running and battery is being charged. Does the vehicle go to sleep 15 minutes or so after you switch off. Ie does the light by the gear selector go out. I ask because I have had good experiences with the Yuasa batteries
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

dave48

Post by dave48 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Henrym3 Hi
When engine running and battery charging the screen goes on and off at random, then stays off.
Not sure about car going to sleep, will check this when battery charged and can switch on and off.
Thanks for the reply.
Dave

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 pm

wot car are we on about??????????????

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:21 pm

You could check that you haven’t got water in the boot under the spare wheel where all the modules or most of them are and check the rear left corner if you have the DSP  amp fitted that area can accumulate water to.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

dave48

Post by dave48 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:33 pm

To Lez,
E53 2006, I recently sold the car to my son, so have to fix.

To Henrym3,
No water in boot area at all.
Dave

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Diagnostics would be good, checking all the connections and perhaps some contact cleaner on them, do the cheap stuff first. You’ll need someone more expert than me to go bejond that. Of course it could still be the battery, how old is it.
VW R32 Gone

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:48 am

I had the similar issue last year screen turning on and off at random losing radio stations, try unplugging the BM54 (radio) in the boot under the floor big Quadlock plug.
No radio but no screen issues stopped and no battery discharge, found a replacement on Ebay for less than the cost of repair and when it arrived it had a Cartronix sticker and had been upgraded result. Plus all issues fixed.
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:40 am

Perhaps it might be worth checking the ribbon cables to the head unit.
Many moons ago I had similar problems and there is a write up re fitting glass screens to the head unit and how to's to get the head unit out in my posts.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

dave48

Post by dave48 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 am

To Henrym3
2 to 3 years old, should still be good.

To Greydog
Thanks will check what do I search for on e bay, quadlock plug??

To Lez
Thanks how do I view your previous related post?

Sorry for all this but a newbie!!

Dave

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 am

Click on my name, will bring up info click on ''posts'' then start digging, also check Sanj posts and x555 .
That will keep you busy for the next week !!

Lez

dave48

Post by dave48 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am

Lez hi
Looked through the first 10 pages of your posts, will carry on later.
Just heard from my son, he does not lock the car overnight or indeed when he's away on the rigs for three weeks, can this be causing the problem??
Dave
thanks for your help so far.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:51 am

Shouldn’t be an issue as the car goes to sleep whether locked or not after ~15mins.

If it is being left that long however, the battery could just be dying.  Dealers recharge once a month and he might be wise to buy a battery conditioner/charger. 

Several of us use CTEK conditioners (same as BMW but without the badge and markup!) if we leave cars for long periods.  When our E46 is in storage it is left permanently hooked up to one.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:44 pm

No, look for BM54 radio the Quadlock is the connection to the cars wiring harness.
The BM54 unit is under the floor by the Battery.

As X5 Sport says the C tek charger is the way to go if it is standing for periods of time
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)