Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Glovebox

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Glovebox

Post by henrym3 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:28 pm

As above, can’t open it. Was in it 3 days ago, today latch moves but won’t open. Any tips/tricks to unlatch it. No it’s not locked.
Last edited by henrym3 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Glvebox

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Try a spell checker Henry.
Sorry.

Greydog

Re: Glovebox

Post by Greydog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:19 am

Morning Henry
I had this I managed to get mine open by jiggling the key around while pushing and pulling. Then you sit there thinking "now do I risk shutting it". Did a search and found a fix on Xoutpost bit fiddly but worked.

Here it is

How I fixed a faulty glove box latch on my BMW X5 e53.

Hi guys, Just had some great success on finally fixing a faulty glove box latch on my BMW X5 e53, 2004 model (not the motorised version).

Everyone complains on these forums about the bad design of this latch.....and it IS really bad! I had been putting up with a faulty latch for years, by simply not using the glove box at all, or occasionally using the key to jiggle the latch open. Even the BMW service guys couldn’t fix it and didn’t know why it would get stuck shut, as the 2 parts to the latch looked in good condition.

After only a few years, the plastic nub at the back end of the key barrel gets slightly worn on the side that makes contact with the steel lever on the inside of the inner latch mechanism. This means that when using the latch handle to open the glove box, the nub on the back of the barrel ‘falls off’ the lever, and then gets caught up on it when the handle is released.....jamming up the lock, and keeping the glove box lid shut.

After various attempts to fix the problem, I stumbled onto a solution, without having to buy a new lock.......

The worn nub at the back of the key barrel needs to move slightly ‘closer’(by 1-2mm) to the steel latch, to prevent it disengaging on opening.

To achieve this, after removing the 2 pieces of the lock, simply cut tiny pieces off the soft rubbery plastic which sits around the 2 screw holes on the front of the lid. I used a small, sharp chisel (5-8mm) and a very small box-cutter knife to carefully pick away at it, to match the profile of the base plate (each around 7x10mm) on the handle . Cut the plastic back down to the metal frame. Then screw the 2 pieces of the latch together, really hard.

Anyway, the 2 parts of the latch mechanism now are around 2 mm closer to each other, and the lock barrel nub now stays in place. The lock now works perfectly! It took about 30 minutes.

I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Dave
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:52 am

Cheers for that, when the rain stops I’ll have a go.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Ok it’s stopped raining, pull latch forward as thought opening, look up behind latch and see the opening lever, move it sideways with small thin screwdriver and glovebox opens. All my problem was that the two posi drive screws that hold the latch to the door were loose, tighten up, job done. Long may my problems be so simple.
VW R32 Gone

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:02 am

Amen to that Henry
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)