Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear tires are wearing crazy

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
hawkar

Rear tires are wearing crazy

Post by hawkar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi there,

I had fitted by ATS 4 new AVON tires last October and have been driven only 8k miles.
I got the car after changing the tires aligned and all tires balanced.
Now the front tires look fine and are at 5mm but the rear are less than 2mm and are
wearing  even across the tires.
I don't drift or do burnouts.

Is that because of the budget AVON tires?

Should i buy this time better tires?
Is that ok if i get 2 Bridgestone tires for rear
285/45R19 ER 107V

have been told by many mechanics to have on the x5 everywhere the same make.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Rear tires are wearing crazy

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:51 pm

My e53 diesel came with a newish set of prestivo pv-s1 fitted they are M+S as well.
Same mileage as you and still on around 6mm even across the tyre and not a bad tyre at all in my opinion and did ok in snow.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Are all four corners the same size, or have you got different front and rear?  As you have 19” wheels they are most likely (staggered).

Avon are not ‘*’ marked which puts you at risk if transmission damage from mismatched rolling radii - BMW ‘x’ cars are very intolerant of anything other than the right rubber.  This is particularly important for ‘staggered’ tyre sets - different wheel and tyre sized front and rear.  ‘Square’ setups (same front/rear) are far less prone to this

It’s a hard sell on these aging cars, but......You need top end medium or premium brand rubber rated for the car’s weight and ideally all four of the same brand and changed as a set.  Unless you are absolutely certain that the rolling radii are the same, the advice is to stick with the ‘*’ marked (specially matched rolling radii) brands only.  Unfortunately that adds to the cost if each set  :o

If the tyre wear front/rear between your used front set and a new rear set isn’t too far apart the risk is low, but.....

If the rolling radius is more than about 1.5% different (front/rear) it is possible to get transmission wind-up which destroys either a diff or the transfer box.  Replacements of the former are hard to find other than OEM and therefore expensive.  Transfer boxes are fixable but it’s still costly.  More than a few on here have now had this problem!

The correct sizes and weight ratings are shown in the tyre pressure plate.

Michelin Diamaris were the standard fit.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

hawkar

Post by hawkar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 pm

The tires have different sizes
Front tires 255/50R19 107V
Rear tires 285/45R19 107 V

Sorry I don't understand the part with Avon are not*...risk..
are you saying they are not healty for the x5?

Should i get 4 new premium tires? :'( (

or  can just get 2 same tires as the front ones Avon

I don't  want to damage or risk anything and i have to drive next month to Germany

Thanks for the quick replies

marti

Post by marti » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 am

Your tyre sizes are correct for an e53....had thoses sizes on my old e53....conti's use to last me 3yrs doing around 9000 miles a year....you will be fine with a new set of Avons on the rear....
Last edited by marti on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkar

Post by hawkar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I think i will get this time just 2 Avon tires and hopefully get premium ones next time.
Thanks to you all again

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rear tires

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:17 am

BMW xDrive cars should be fitted with tyres that have an ‘*’ stamped on the sidewall.  It means they meet BMWs spec for diameter and therefore rolling radius.  If you put a brand new front and rear tyre next to each other, they should be the same height, if they aren’t then the rolling radius is different and (usually) the rear tyre rolls further per revolution than the front.  That leads to transmission wind-up and broken diffs or transfer boxes.

The problem varies by tyre manufacturer with some far worse than others.  ‘*’ marked tyres have the correct and matched rolling radius (at new).  Unfortunately only premium brands do this.

If you hear any kind of odd noises from the transmission then tyres are often the problem.  It is a design issue with all of the xDrive cars until about the time the F15 version of the X5 came out.  It has a more tolerant transfer box.  The E83 X3 is the worst of the range for suffering this fault - though BMW will never accept that it is a ‘fault’.

One member in here found that there was a difference on his non ‘*’ marked tyres of 32mm per revolution.  Not good  :(

hawkar

Post by hawkar » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Wow!
I didn't know that the tires can cause damage to the car.
The *stamp is new to me,will definately get next time better tires.

I can't  hear thank god any odd noises.
Can I or the garage check the rolling radius after or before fitting the new Avon tires?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 pm

You can ask but they’ll need new tyres to get an accurate measurement (which they may have in stock) before you put a pair on.

BMW have only stated that using ‘*’ marked tyres is ‘recommended’, it is Forums such as this one that have identified the issue.

BMW are also not alone with this.  Audi, Merc and Porsche also have specific tyres marked with their own code.

It can also be affected by wrong weight rating leading to additional flex in the tyres - more of an issue for runflat tyres which the E53 doesn’t need.  You still need to match what the rating plate on the B-pillar says.  Running below that rating is illegal.

It doesn’t affect everybody but the message seems to be, and experiences on here support, that fitting non ‘*’ marked tyres can and has resulted in broken transmissions.  Wide variance in tread depth front/rear (new at one end, well worn at the other) has the same effect.

Luxury cars come with luxury habits in terms of fuel, servicing, spares and money.

hawkar

Post by hawkar » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the information!
Luxury cars Luxury habits Oh Yes

I think i will get the avons now and will see what happens
wish me luck

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:58 am

I'm interested here... I have 19" standard wheels on the X5 and I know they're staggered... but what tyre sizes are 'right' or best for these on the front/back then?

I know my fronts are much more worn than my rears but i would imagine this is the usual occurance with the weight of the engine and steering impact on the front tyres.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:02 am

[quote="Entwicklung34"]
I'm interested here... I have 19" standard wheels on the X5 and I know they're staggered... but what tyre sizes are 'right' or best for these on the front/back then?

I know my fronts are much more worn than my rears but i would imagine this is the usual occurance with the weight of the engine and steering impact on the front tyres.
[/quote]

What model ? The E53 is much more tolerent of non X tyres, as ''x5sport'' has explained.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

themoog

Post by themoog » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Different rolling radius front and rear made my front diff make a funny clicking /pinging noise until I replaced the rear tyres. I have prestivo on the front and nexen on the back and have had minimal wear since fitting (18 months ago).

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Apologies - yes it's an e53 on a 54plate.