Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering angle sensor DSC light ... coding [SOLVED]

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Zedhed

Re: Steering angle sensor DSC light ... coding [SOLVED]

Post by Zedhed » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:37 am

Hi mate,having the same problem,getting sas permanent message after changing it so assuming it still needs coding.did you do this with new inpa or old?on old inpa the coding/programming section is not selectable on mine

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:13 pm

Hey Zed... i've had my INPA a looooong time so i'm guessing it's the old version. (V3???) I did go into two different sections and clear codes.... one was called something like cdx8 or something which gave some info, but thebother was actually called 'steering angle sensor' which gave other info. One of those options had a coding section but I dont know if this was reading the code or re-writing to it or what. I cleared codes and re-calibrated the sensor with the wheels at deaf centre.

Was it a second hand part you used? I found one almost identical to my own and perhaps this means it didnt need 'coding' as such, i'm not entirely sure, but it definitely worked... no problems since.

Best of luck - any lights on dash instantly fail mot and with some fails you arent allowed to drive away from the garage either now.

Zedhed

Post by Zedhed » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Right ok thanks bud.the part was bought new from ecp and cant even calibrate it,but saying that disv57 showed up some mechanical play fault code so weather that is stopping it i have no idea.

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:39 am

Have a play around with inpa I remember seeing a section saying 'steering angle sensor brand new? YES/NO  ... But from what I read a brand new sensor will need coding in some way. Lots say NCS expert is necessary but I got lucky as i'm not at all knowlwdgeabke with this side of things. Hope others can help more.

If you get stuck it might actually be cheaper for you to buy a second hand one than to go to a garage to have a brand new one coded (£160 I was quoted fron an independent... gruesome).