Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What's your money on?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Entwicklung34

What's your money on?

Post by Entwicklung34 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi all.

Just got the x5 (3.0d) 2004 through the mot by sorting out all issues myself so obviously i'm due some payback. :'(

Here's the symptoms...

*Smoke on startup first thing in the morning or when left to sit a good while during the day (Been happening for a little while now, but is definitely getting worse/more smoke). The smoke settles after a few seconds and doesnt come back.

*Recently (last few days) the car doesnt start first time but does the second time. It cranks no problem first time but wont fire.

*Car runs well, no problems.

*The only codes INPA seems to be pulling is two glow plug faults... these have been present for a long time.

I've done some reading about and have my suspicions on what's up, but would like to see what people thought about this one on here? Anyone had similar?

Appreciate any comments / advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: What's your money on?

Post by Horizon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Probably glow plugs / glowplug controller, I changed both whilst in there as the inlet manifold has to come off, not a job for the faint hearted, and spray the glowplugs with penetrating fluid several times owner a couple of hours, using a full tin of WD40 or similar, as of you break a glowplug off it can be a whole load of expense and hassle.
My E53 used to give a puff of smoke out at initial start up, but never struggled to start.
My E83 X3 3.0d had a DPF so had to change them on that, as they won't regen the DPF if the glowplugs are gone/ inoperable
E53 has no DPF so not a worry, just a bit of smoke, depends on how much it winds you up
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:42 am

Two glow plugs out and a cold day = smoke and a longer starting cycle.

If it’s getting harder and harder to start and with more smoke then the controller may also be about to fail.

Change the lot, including the controller.  BERU are the OEM supplier.  Plenty of videos on line about changing them and also use newtis(dot)info which is an on line copy of the BMW service/repair instructions.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:11 am

+1 for the above.

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for the input... I think you may be onto something here.

I actually thought it must be an injector leaking down overnight to get the smoke (still possible I suppose), but the last couple of days it's been starting first time, which is promising... It hasn't been quite as cold either, so this is pointing to glow plugs. Still get some smoke, but strangely it's better when parked facing downhill, worse when pointing uphill. (My driveway is on a decent slope so i've notoced this!)

I'll get inpa on it on the weekend and report back... i know for sure it has two glow plug faults recorded but will see if there are any codes for the

I have a few questions for you knowledgeable fellows out there...

1. If it's purely a glow plug fault do I need to get right on it or will it wait until summer when I have a bit more time on my hands? Any implications of waiting?

2. Anyone whose tackled this before... is it a 'doable' diy job or better to get the pro's on it? Jobs i've done before; cv boot change, subframe bushes, Steering angle sensor, gearbox oil +filter, swirl flap removal (e39) inc intake removal, diff swap (e39), etc etc... Would you say i'm at a reasonable level to attempt the glow plugs/controller or is it a no go?
3. When buying new plugs/controller... what brands etc are best? (If i'm honest, main dealer prices are not an option for me right now)

Really appreciate the replies so far and any more info you anyone can offer.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:11 pm

If you have removed swirl flaps then you know how to remove the intake manifold , your halfway there.
Once that's removed the glowplugs are accessible, loads and loads of penatrati ng fluid, then some more over a couple of hours, a 6 mm deep socket on a stubby racket, so you can feel of its going to loosen, long bars and rackets are too easy to shear something.
I bought glowplugs from ECP, but lots of them on EBay, as X5 sport has said the OEM controllers are Beru, available for £60 off EBay.
The controllers tucked away on the side of the engine

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Horizon I appreciate your detailed respinse there, thank you.

Sounds like a fairly involved job, but doable with some patience. I have never encountered a water pipe manifold before, unless I have and never knew what it was called ha.

Thanks for the price info... i'll do some more research on ebay and see what I can find, and you've got to love ECP. If I can collect the parts in the run up to better weather I could plan for a couple of days off the road and have a go at it, giving the penetrating fluid plenty of time to do its job. I'm going to assume this is a costly procedure to have done at a garage and that there is a fair amount of money to be saved doing it at home. It's been a while since I did the intake removal on the e39 but nothing a little homework wont fix.

Just to check... is this smoke i'm encountering likely to be just glow plug related or would i need to look at replacing  injectors whilst the intake was off? Not getting any injector codes or anythong as far as i know, just the glow plug errors.
I even get some smoke when it's not particularly cold outside. Maybe more though when it is cold.

If things get worse or car wont start i'll be back for some more advice sooner rather than hahaha... thanks again.

Entwicklung34

Post by Entwicklung34 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Hey... just had a quick look on ebay there and the full set of plugs and BERU controller for £120... better than I was expecting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-BMW-X5-3 ... 3ad097b120

With some intake gaskets etc you'd hope to get the job done for under £150... Might see what the local independent charges for this job and report back, could be interesting.

R515

Post by R515 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi, (again  :) )

You're more than able to do this as stated by others having done the Swirl flaps on an E39. Only advice would be to take the car for a run and get it nice and warm, then go for it. A hot engine will help with glow plug removal but be careful you don't get burnt on hot metal objects!!
As for waiting till spring time, that's also an option depending when you live (I live in the south) as the only real time you need the glow plugs is when we get a "beast from the east". A good battery and starter motor and the M57 will fire up year round in England.

Best wishes,

Mark 

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:07 pm

[quote="Entwicklung34"]
Horizon I appreciate your detailed respinse there, thank you.

Sounds like a fairly involved job, but doable with some patience. I have never encountered a water pipe manifold before, unless I have and never knew what it was called ha.

Thanks for the price info... i'll do some more research on ebay and see what I can find, and you've got to love ECP. If I can collect the parts in the run up to better weather I could plan for a couple of days off the road and have a go at it, giving the penetrating fluid plenty of time to do its job. I'm going to assume this is a costly procedure to have done at a garage and that there is a fair amount of money to be saved doing it at home. It's been a while since I did the intake removal on the e39 but nothing a little homework wont fix.

Just to check... is this smoke i'm encountering likely to be just glow plug related or would i need to look at replacing  injectors whilst the intake was off? Not getting any injector codes or anythong as far as i know, just the glow plug errors.
I even get some smoke when it's not particularly cold outside. Maybe more though when it is cold.

If things get worse or car wont start i'll be back for some more advice sooner rather than hahaha... thanks again.
[/quote]

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... #msg145648

This is a post from when I did mine, on the engine photo you can see the glowplugs, the water manifold I mentioned, it was only 3 bolts I think and the square plastic box underneath is the offending article, the GP controller, the plugs push in underneath, so a git to get at, but doable.