Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

solved my steering angle sensor problem

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
dazzasgotav8

solved my steering angle sensor problem

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Like so many i was cursed with the sas problem, after doing my research about solving this and not having any bmw software scanner i was lucky to be able to borrow a snap on scanner which confirmed i had a sas sensor fault , not wishing to pay out for a new sensor i did some digging and turns out the same sensor is used on minis and for some reason its cheaper to buy a used mini sensor than a x5 one , so i took the gamble brought a used sensor fitting was a lot easier than i thought just a matter of the coding it now , but it seems you dont need no fancy bmw software as all i did with the snap on scanner was clear the fault code then carryout a sensor calibration job done no more fault for very little cost just over £40 for the sensor my labour free .
Being the curious type i decided to take my old sensor apart see what was going on inside and found this sorry not the best pic if you look at the bottom of the pic you can see two contacts well one as one has worn away hence the fault .
IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG (280.46 KiB) Viewed 569 times