Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Couple of issues

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Smarty10

Couple of issues

Post by Smarty10 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi all I'm a new owner of a x5 diesel, I have a couple of issues.

First off my check coolant msg on the dash does not go off even when there is enough in there?
Sensor maybe.

My eml does not light up on self test nor does it light up when I do the on board test via dash?

Lastly I can't get a scanner to connect through the obd2 port?

I would be grateful for any advice given, apart from that she's a pleasure to drive.

Any other tips / tricks that are useful to know throw them my way lol. :thumbsup:

mr angry

Re: Couple of issues

Post by mr angry » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi and welcome aboard.

I have just replaced the coolant expansion tank on mine as it was cracked. Mine is a pre facelift diesel and the sensor is at the base of the expansion tank. You can just about get your arm down to check if is plugged in. I would look here first and have a look at the plug ensuring connection looks okay.

What obd scanner are you using and have you checked it works in another vehicle? My scanner works fine but the mot testers unit would not pair with my car... no obvious reason so they may be fussy.

My car is nearing 220 000 miles and to be honest never misses a beat, these thi gs seem to go forever.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 am

Hi
No elm light you get a message instead.
As above what scanner.
The mot test dongle won't work on our cars as they are obd nor obd2 well i think that is why and it didn't work on mine.

Smarty10

Post by Smarty10 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi guys thanks for the replys,

The check coolant msg has gone now typical Lol, will check the expansion tank but I don't believe it's losing fluid.

That's good news on the eml light thought someone took the bulb out.

If just got a cheap one from eBay, it's does work on my 5 series, have all so tried my mates at work and still don't connect ( his is a bit more expensive)