Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Passenger front door button

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
exbonneville

Passenger front door button

Post by exbonneville » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 pm

I have an irritating fault with my 2006 3.0d LeMansBlue that has been there since I bought the car a couple of years ago but it is high time I addressed it.

The front passenger door lock button doesn't go down when the doors lock. I can push it down and it will pop with all the others when unlocked. When leaving the car I have been unlocking all the doors with the central button first, leaning over to push the button down so that it doesn't appear unlocked when the car is locked. If I don't bother pushing the button down the door still locks just the same so there isn't a security issue, other than the look.

Other than appearance it isn't a problem but wondered if anyone has experienced and rectified this without too much deconstruction of the door innards!

sleepyfolk

Re: Passenger front door button

Post by sleepyfolk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 pm

This might sound silly but the little black plastic trim surround was broken on mine - probably when someone had dismantled the door and when the put the trim piece on they’d bent one of the little lugs and it fouled the knob that pops up and down, in my case the trim piece used to move with the knob so I replaced it and it works normally, not quite same fault but might be worth a look - no dismantling necessary!

Part number is 51418408567 - you can find them on eBay - cheap enough from BMW actually but I was ordering a host of other spares as well.
Attachments
01C6890C-A9A1-4ECA-BD9D-7C848B9374D6.jpeg
01C6890C-A9A1-4ECA-BD9D-7C848B9374D6.jpeg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 946 times

exbonneville

Re: Passenger front door button

Post by exbonneville » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:22 pm

@sleepfolk: Doesn't sound silly at all, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a closer look when I next unlock the car although I haven't noticed the trim move. But you never know!