Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 3.0i Petrol won’t start...

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
RossC

X5 3.0i Petrol won’t start...

Post by RossC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi all.

I’m going to get the car to my mechanic this week, but would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Went to start my 2006 E53 3.0 petrol this morning for the starter motor to crank as normal but then cut before engine start. The starter motor now doesn’t crank as normal, but a weaker, attempt at starting if that makes sense.

No issues until now. There is some gunk under the filler cap as usual for this engine in the winter, and it may have used a little coolant, but nothing alarming that I can see.

Plenty oil on the dipstick too, but the reason I checked these things is that it felt like an engine seize rather than a starter issue :cry:

Any previous experience or advice someone can offer?

Thanks all.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X5 3.0i Petrol won’t start...

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Could be the battery or the starter, or the connections under the bonnet at the jump point are loose. All are known potential causes of a weak starter.

Have you checked the battery voltage? Any battery used on short journeys or more than a few years old can fail with little warning.

E53 starters are known to fail, particularly 2003-2005 due to a flaw in the windings. Replacement is the only option. You will need access to a ‘current clamp’ to see what it is drawing (less than 180A is fine). They can draw more than the battery can cope with and sound sluggish.

Where the cables come down from the jumper point under the bonnet needs to be properly tightened, as does the connection on the starter itself. They should be free from corrosion.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

RossC

Post by RossC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

The engine is now starting, but with little in the way of a direct culprit. The battery was low so that’s not going to help, but it had somehow flooded itself too.

Once jumped it took a painful amount of attempts before it eventually fired, but it’s running and starting as normal again.

For now, I think I’ll need to put it down to battery issues and in turn, the flooding exacerbated the situation.

It won’t hurt to get the battery checked/replaced and maybe a service with new plugs too.

I’m delighted and a little perplexed at the same time :|

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Maybe do some googls research on M54 engine hydro locking. The UK cars can suffer if it gets really cold.. There is a cold climate pcv/ccv kit available I think......Sorry.....my memory a bit vague on this subject now.