Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox worry?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
weirdfish

Re: Gearbox worry?

Post by weirdfish » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Since clearing the code. (49), and then driving for a while I've noticed that the gear changes are sometimes a bit random, changes gear when you least expect it to, then when you think it should it doesn't.
I've also noticed that first thing when cold it seems to hunt a bit, when warm it's fine, not sure if this is related to the gearbox or not.
It's off to the indie on Monday, ( ForzaGB ), so I'll get him to take a look.
And yes, the lurch is back :headbang:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Remember, cheap stuff first, proper-oil level check, at least if it’s low you can expect an lmprovement when probably filled. Temperature check to confirm g/b coolant thermostat is working properly

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:05 am

Hi all.
I ve not posted for a while, two reasons.
Firstly , I've managed to get away from the BMW owners / enthusiast belief that it's the ultimate driving machine !
I was firstly many years ago seduced by my test drive of an E30 325i sport coupe in white, which was an unforgettable motoring experience in my life, compared with previous cars of the time.
I was a BMW convert.πŸ˜€
I moved on to to the E46 3.0I saloon then coupe, still mightily impressed, then to a 840CI V8. ( should have kept that one)
Then an E60 330i ex BMW management car, fully loaded , comfort seats etc ( should have kept that too 😬)
Then an E53 X5 3.0 D , great car, had it 2 years, fitted a battery, apart from that, never missed a beat.
Got bored with it and bought a MK6 Golf, fantastic car, got bored with that too, so bought a 2009 E83 X3 !!!!!!!
Worst car I have ever had the misfortune to own.
When it was working, it was fine ( a
Art from the 20 yeas old tech , MK4 sat nav . Same as Noah had on the Ark.
I always fancied an LCI X5, but reading the problem posts on this site , I couldn't bring my self to pay stupid money for such a flawed car.
I also bought an E93 3 series concertible, 1 owner low mileage hard top convertible, this was also troublesome, and racked up the bills, and further deleted my faith in BMW cars.
2 years ago I decided to bin the brand and bought the wife a Honda CRV and myself a KIA Sorento
Since ownership of both vehicles we have had ZERO problems.
I still like visiting this site, only to read other people's problems, so to reinforce my decision to change brands.
It takes me back to the early 80's when a friend of mine bought a Datsun 120Y, and I said, what are you doing buying Jap Crap !!!!!
But once I'd driven it once, I ended up buying one my self, and ditching my Ford Cortina 1600E for good.πŸ˜€
Oh, and sorry , forgot the second reason I don't post anymore, a
Art from I don't have a BMW anymore 😎
I find the new forum, impossible to navigate 😬
Please forgive the rant I've also had a good drinkie 😜😜😜😜😜

P

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Wish I hadn’t read that. 2 years without problems?? Has to be the drink talking :D