Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cv joints or what

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Sirrepairalot

Cv joints or what

Post by Sirrepairalot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi folks,got a problem when I jerk the steering wheel back and fourth.you can hear a knock and see the front wheels jerk.and first I thought strut bearings but on closer inspection it seems the knock is from lower down by the wheel.i assume cv joint failure willore than likely cause trans fail safe issue as well.any thoughts peeps.took the car to be tracked today again and refused to do it because of this😟

marti

Re: Cv joints or what

Post by marti » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Most probably your lower ball joints.....never heard of it causing trans fail safe, that happens mostly from a low voltage battery.

Sirrepairalot

Post by Sirrepairalot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Steering is notchy aswell and bounces across the road when hitting a pothole.just can’t determine if it’s cv joints or strut bearings

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 am

I would get all the joints on the front looked at.
When i first got my e53 i would get a wheel wobble going round a bend.
Took it to the garage and they put it on the ramp and used the shaker thing built into the ramp on it but no play to be seen.
WE then jacked it up and i was shocked at the play in the joints and one of them was dangerous i had never seen that amount of play in a joint and i was a tester for many years and worked on cars for 40+ years.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 am

I recently replaced all of the arms, bushes and joints on the front of my E53 and it was not obvious until removing them just how worn they were. This is because some are under tension even when jacked up. I also replaced the CV joints which were actually very easy to do on this car.

I ordered the full set of Febi Bilsten arms/bushes from ebay which was around £200. I actually have a new and boxed full set if anyone looking for some as ordered twice in error and never got round to returning them.