Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mot fail - engine MIL inoperative

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Hoppo

Mot fail - engine MIL inoperative

Post by Hoppo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm

I’m hoping this post will save someone some aggro:

My 2005 3.0d X5 failed its annual MOT because the tester said the engine MIL was inoperative - the MIL doesn't light up when the ignition is turned on before starting the engine.

It turns out that the car is designed like that (many thanks go to Richard Barker of Barker’s Motor Works in Haslemere who sorted all this out).

Also, if you read the government’s MOT guidance, the MIL on diesel cars of this age should not be tested:
Engine malfunction indicator lamp
Turn on the ignition and check that the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates and then goes off. On some vehicles it will be necessary to start the engine before the MIL goes off.

You need to inspect MIL fitted to diesel vehicles with 4 or more wheels and first used on or after 1 July 2008.

Kit cars, amateur built vehicles and American pickups are not required to be fitted with an engine MIL.

Has anyone else had this problem? My car has now been given its MOT.
BMW X5 3.0D Facelift. 55 Plate. Manual gearbox (rare as hens’ teeth?)

fieldmasher

Re: Mot fail - engine MIL inoperative

Post by fieldmasher » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Had similar issue

2005 Facelift 134k miles, runs ok .

However, 4x4 light was on at time of MOT.

It Failed MOT on 12/03/19 because:

"Electronic stability control warning lamp indicates a fault"

However, when 2 garages ran Diagnostics, they could not diagnose fault in order to fix it.

I do not what to do.

Help!

marti

Post by marti » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:11 pm

'Hoppo'....I had the same on my e38 7series until I produced the relevant MOT procedures for the MIL....then it passed.

'Fieldmaster' Probably the garages youve tried for diagnostics dont have BMW specific diagnostic equipment.......possible cause is the steering angle sensor, but you need to find a BMW indi garage they will have the BMW specific diagnostics to help you like INPA or Rheingold

Huxley06

Post by Huxley06 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:20 pm

Have you tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock? I had his on an old x3 and because i’d Disconnected the battery it came up. Was a simple fix for me.

fieldmasher

Post by fieldmasher » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks to all for your responses.

I have tried turning steering wheel from End to lock. .....no luck.

there is no clicking sound , so plastic gear in transfer case should not be issue ?

strummer

Post by strummer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:10 am

fieldmasher wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:55 pm Had similar issue

2005 Facelift 134k miles, runs ok .

However, 4x4 light was on at time of MOT.

It Failed MOT on 12/03/19 because:

"Electronic stability control warning lamp indicates a fault"

However, when 2 garages ran Diagnostics, they could not diagnose fault in order to fix it.

I do not what to do.

Help!
if your Mil is on when engine is running it will fail as it indictes a fault,you need to read codes,a 4x4 light does not mean it is a 4x4 fault it could be anything,on my 3.0 petrol is was often because the throttle body was becoming worn, a new one sorted it and put the light out.