Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Checking Oil Level 4.6is

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
sleepyfolk

Checking Oil Level 4.6is

Post by sleepyfolk » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 pm

It seems from googling that BMW V8’s seem a bit awkward to get a decent reliable oil level when checking on the dipstick. Since I’ve had the car I’ve never been able to see what’s on it very well and thought it was just me, maybe you’ll say it is!

I was always under the impression that you check oil levels when cold but I see also that it says to check when the engine is warm and about 5 minutes after turning off.

Is this what everyone does?

I can never get a decent level on the dipstick, one side always seems higher than the other, I’ve done it warm and it looks low so I’ve chucked some in, low level alarm has never come on, when it’s cold the oil level seems to be all over the place depending on what day it is. My oil is really clean so it’s a bugger to see anyway.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Checking Oil Level 4.6is

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:40 am

I check mine cold.
It's cold when it is put in on an oil change.
I check everything cold tyres/water and oil and have done it that way for the best part of fifty years.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:14 am

Well this is what I thought, apparently it says in the manual to do it warm and the guy in the garage next door to us that has a BMW says it should be warm, I’m worried about overfilling it but unless I do an oil change I can’t tell what’s in it !

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Clearly states in the owners manual on page 148 that the engine should be at its normal operating temp, then wait 5 minutes before checking oil level.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Cool, that’s cleared that up then

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:38 pm

I found if you check the level when cold you need to leave the dipstick out for 5 mins then you get a consistent reading. Although the shape of the dipstick suggests the oil all drains down I find it doesn’t and readings are inconsistent