Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car vibrating (almost violently) at high speeds

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
cooa99

Re: Car vibrating (almost violently) at high speeds

Post by cooa99 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:24 am

Ok, after a few videos, I think I might as well give this a try. Buying the bleed kit means if I am successful then it is a valuable skill for future bleeding and flushing.

will this bleeding kits be good or there are better ones?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-Bleeding ... B01N1M88FT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS820-C ... B000ROARTI

Also how long can leave the clamps on the brake hoses for?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed May 29, 2019 8:48 am

cooa99 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:24 am Ok, after a few videos, I think I might as well give this a try. Buying the bleed kit means if I am successful then it is a valuable skill for future bleeding and flushing.

will this bleeding kits be good or there are better ones?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-Bleeding ... B01N1M88FT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS820-C ... B000ROARTI

Also how long can leave the clamps on the brake hoses for?
How long is a piece of string lol.
Something i do on jobs like this is.
When it's all back together and the car just sitting i undo the bleed nipples and let the fluid run through just a bit.
Bleeding after is quick and no problem to do.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Wed May 29, 2019 10:05 am

I also would buy the piston and seal kit every time rather than replace the caliper. It is a very simple job and if you are unsure, there are loads of videos online.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:57 am

I was going to try the KIT 1st since the caliper has to come out anyway. giving bigred a call .

the other items now in my amazon basket. just wanting a confirmation that the bleed kit is good enough ..

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 29, 2019 4:16 pm

The Sealey pressure bleeder is the one I have. Don’t worry about filling it with fluid. Fill the brake fluid reservoir only and then screw the sealey in place of the standard cap. Pressurise the Sealey to no more than 15-20psi (max) so it just gives a little pressure on the system. That lower pressure will stop any air bubbles backing up the pipes. I didn’t use much more than 0.5L of fluid bleeding the whole car this way and it saves a lot of cleaning up afterwards as the pressure bleeder stays clean. :D

Just keep any eye on the fluid level in the brake reservoir. Don’t let it fall below the ‘Min’ mark.

Whatever you do, do NOT spill brake fluid on the paint! It is an extremely effective stripper! I protect all of the surrounding areas with old towels and a bit of kitchen roll. A bin bag under the towels will stop anything getting near the paint. :)

I use Pagid DOT 4 fluid. You can use either DOT4 or DOT5.1 Glycol based fluids.

Do NOT use DOT5 fluid!!! It’s Silicone based and must not be mixed with the others. It is incompatible with the braking system too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for all the info.
My local MOT garage which I have been using for the last 14yrs said they will charge me £55 to change the caliper and they can either supply or I bring one in. Imagine that, much cheaper that the 2 indy's close to be who want to charge dealer price for caliper they may most likely will source elsewhere....

This brings the price down considerable to around £150ish with the £72 Pagid caliper from ECP ... about same price it will cost me to buy all the parts and the brake bleed kit and tools. Doing it myself means I get to keep the the tools for future use. Worst case is I will have to get the car to then to bleed if I don't do it well.

I think I will have a stab at this :)

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Thu May 30, 2019 7:03 pm

I am sure you will be fine, just take your time. One thing I would say when working on these cars is, do not let the hydraulic braking system drain down too much as bleeding the abs unit can be problematic. Basically, just make sure there is always fluid in the reservoir throughout and you will be fine. I think if you are using a pressure bleeder, this will be done anyway.