Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible electrical issues with the e53 4.6is

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
shy7g

Re: Possible electrical issues with the e53 4.6is

Post by shy7g » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 pm

As suggested your first port of call is to get in the boot and check/clean the earthing connections, many moons ago I installed an aftermarket HU and data connecting lead through the car, when finished I found that I had no indicators (on the stick as well as off the hazard switch), no main beam (high) or headlight flasher, no front or rear fog lamps, although both front and rear lights come on OK via the main lights switch, as do the interior cluster lights.
I was guided to try the following: Disconnect battery in the boot and leave it for a while, whilst disconnected you can carry out the earth cleaning task - only a suggestion, but it worked in my case
regards
Rich

onedaymyfriend

Post by onedaymyfriend » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Finally we're all sorted, recond ABS sensor and updated connection at the rear of the cluster and we're sorted!

Now..lol I'm having issues with the passenger door, I can unlock it with the fob but have to lock it manually. I'm think the actuator needs replacing, what you think guys?

Thanks for all your advice.

D

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:18 pm

There's two small electric motors inside the actuator - one to lock and one to unlock. Sounds like one has failed. The motors can be changed but it requires drilling out rivets to open the actuator assembly and obtaining suitable replacement motors. If this it not something you can do, then yeah, new actuator assembly time.... :roll:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Just changed the drivers door actuator on the b3 cos when unlocking all the windows came down and sunroof opened. £169 of Cotswold :thumbsdown: so bought one of the bay for £13. Works

onedaymyfriend

Post by onedaymyfriend » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:08 am

Morning henrym3, was that a secondhand unit or a non oem part?

Thanks,

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am

Second hand OEM. probably as old as the original one but as I wasn’t 100% confident that would fix it I didn’t want to spend to much.