4.6is gearbox - wish me luck!

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
sleepyfolk

Re: 4.6is gearbox - wish me luck!

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:41 am

Well the gearbox still doesn’t feel right. No trans fail error since that first one, have located a chap called Phil of 5hp24 transmissions ltd, it’s all he does and his workshop is like a lab - much more the sort of thing I expect of a gearbox workshop. Seems the likely plan now is to drop my box, whip out the valve block and send it off to him then he’ll send me a complete box and TC back.

Lost faith in the last place I went. Box doesn’t lurch badly but. I can feel the changes more, no slipping but I guess it’s just a matter of time :headbang:

Rain sensor I fixed still works though :rofl:
Last edited by sleepyfolk on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X5Sport
Lifer
Lifer

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:31 pm

When mine came back from rebuild the first time the clutch changeover sequence timing was wrong causing the revs to increase slightly as the clutch disengaged before dropping again as the new gear engaged. It took them a couple of attempts before fitting a different box and a brand new Mechatronics Unit to finally sort it. They never did tell me what was the issue with the old box, only that it had been scrapped due to internal issues!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Phill posts on occasions on that well known x5 forum across the pond and is very highly regarded. I doubt if there is anyone better. Keep us posted
sleepyfolk

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 pm

This morning was weird, there’s a slight slope at the end of the farm track and you often have to hold on until there’s a gap in the traffic before emerging onto the A30, today I trundled up the track as usual, went to pull out and had no drive at all, rolled back a bit and revved it a little more and crawled onto the main road and then slowly nursed it down to put some fuel in.
When I stopped for fuel the trans fail safe came up, when I got back in and started it up - all back to semi normal, still feel then gear changes but it changes and has driven normally all day!

Anyway, booked into Howard BMW on the 8th October to drop the box, courier that to Phil at 5hp24 Ltd on the 9th, then refit it on the 17th October all being well.

Luckily for me he had a rebuilt 034 box on the shelf missing a valve block so he just needs to refurb and fit my valve block and I’ll have a new gearbox and torque converter and all will be well with the world - that’s the plan anyway!
marti

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 am

Whats your battery voltage before you start it up from cold???.....a bad battery will cause havoc.
sleepyfolk

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:09 pm

The battery is on a smart charger regularly and is a fairly new Bosch S5 so should be ok, I don’t doubt there is something wrong with the box as it slipped and lost drive completely

Return to “Problems”