Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Saggy bottom?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
hennabm

Saggy bottom?

Post by hennabm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi, my learned X5 owners.

I'm trying to solve a problem with my 02 E53 with rear only air suspension.
When I bought it the suspension would hold up for weeks without sinking. Now, it only takes a night and its down on both sides on the rear.

I had an indy look on the underside of the car and reported no issues. They suggested the air distribution valve was the problem. This was changed - but no change. It still goes down equally across the back overnight. Sometimes it can be only halfway; other times it goes down totally.

Has anyone else had this experience and what the fault was?

many thanks.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Saggy bottom?

Post by henrym3 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:32 pm

Have same rear suspension. I would suggest you remove it the rear floor and front corner plastic pieces which will expose the two little black reservoirs and the pipes from the compressor to the air bags. Spray with soapy water and check for air leaks. Of course check the tightness of the joints (10mm). In the past someone may have over tightened. I suggest this as it’s cost free. Remember to gently move the pipes whilst doing this.

hennabm

Re: Saggy bottom?

Post by hennabm » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 pm

I think it is finally cured. I checked the little valve block in the spare wheel area nd no, not a sign of bubbles.

So back to my indy and this time they found that both rear bags had developed a leak right at the bottom. With weight on it normally, the leak could not be seen.

Two new bags later and this evening I went out to it and it was still sitting level, having been untouched since yesterday afternoon.

Yippee.