Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Woke up to x5 unlocked + windows and sunroof open

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
onedaymyfriend

Woke up to x5 unlocked + windows and sunroof open

Post by onedaymyfriend » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi guys! My 4.6is has been running perfectly for the past 6 weeks or so, after numerous jobs being done by my local indy BMW garage.

Something a little concerning happened this morning. I woke up to find it unlocked, all the windows down and the sunroof open.

Any ideas what could have caused this? Trans fail safe is also showing on the dash.

Thanks in advance,

D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Woke up to x5 unlocked + windows and sunroof open

Post by X5Sport » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:47 pm

Everything open means that at some point the unlock button on your key was held pressed and everything opened. If you hold the lock button down with everything open then it closes. It’s a normal function. I think it is called Convenience Opening/Closing. It is included on all of our BMWs too. I never keep keys in a pocket now after it happened years ago on our E46 Convertible. I was about 50 metres away in an office and the unlock button got pressed. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and as soon as I moved the process stopped. Fortunately it was in the company car park and it wasn’t raining!

Trans failsafe was almost certainly caused by a dying battery. E53’s have a habit of throwing scary messages such as this, especially in cold weather or if the car is being little used, or often only on short journeys. The cause is usually a dying or flat battery. Many of us have battery conditioner chargers such as the CTEK range (re-badged by BMW too) to keep the batteries in good condition.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Has sorting your battery solved the problem

onedaymyfriend

Post by onedaymyfriend » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks guys,

The X5 was locked last night and the key hung up in its usual place. So no chance of it being the remote.

The battery is new, so I'm hoping it's not that. Trans fail safe message has gone after turning ignition on, put accelerator pedal down for 30 secs then brake pedal down for 10 secs.

Going to have to keep a close eye on this. I did read somewhere (I'm now struggling to find the thread) that it could even have be a failed theft attempt. Although I can't see any signs of this.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Had a similar problem recently on my b3, when unlocking all the windows and sunroof opened. Lots of reading suggested, program the key, GM3module, wiring through door shut, in the end it was the drivers door module.

onedaymyfriend

Post by onedaymyfriend » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks Henry, when you say module would that be the actuator? My passengers side actuator is a but temperamental atm. Thanks.

IanP

Post by IanP » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 pm

I had exactly the same thing on my 4.6 with the windows opening, it was down to a dying battery. No idea why but when the voltage dropped to a certain level everything opened.
Not good if the car is left standing for some time as mine was. Fitted a new battery and never had the problem again.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:39 pm

In my case because it happened every time I unlocked I started with the drivers door, removed the door card and unplugged the actuator. I was then able to lock and unlock everything else without the windows coming down. I was still able to lock the drivers door with the key. I got an actuator of the bay for £13. Although I think I got lucky. If your battery is good, remember the fact that it’s new is no guarantee that it’s good. If you unplug the actuators one at a time and the problem persists after you’ve done them all then I’d lean towards the GM3. Of course, first port of call is a diagnostics scan with a decent reader. Good luck.