Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bits & pieces on an e53

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Silentrunning

Bits & pieces on an e53

Post by Silentrunning » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 pm

First post so hopefully won’t ask too many obvious questions. I can’t find working answers to any of these issues to do with my 2003 2.9d X5 sport I just bought... any help much appreciated so I can crack on this weekend. Biggest mission is refitting the factory widescreen nav to replace the glitchy android unit that was in there.
1. Folding mirrors - only go half in then spring back out again when I press the button.
2. Bluetooth is dead. I have a ULF module in the back and have removed, unplugged, pulled fuses etc. It will not pair in any way. Screen just says activate phone. The talking head button does nothing, nor does the r/t. I’ve tried the ignition position 1, pressing the button etc. It also never shows the car if I try pairing from the phone directly. It’s an iPhone XS. If it won’t ever work I don’t mind, but if there’s something I can do to bring my whole oem system to full operation, I’ll do it. Is there anything obvious I’m missing? Next stop is to check the centre box wiring and maybe replace the ULF with another from a breakers?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bits & pieces on an e53

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:45 am

Hi, mirrors often means bent or otherwise damaged internal micro switches in the mirror housing. Have a search on here for those many members who have fixed the blasted things! Alternatively go to newtis.info as this is a copy of the BMW Technical instructions on line. You should find instructions in there - unless of course BMW have just decided to replace that part if broken rather than fix it!

Bluetooth issue could very likely be the ULF. They are a known weak point. Before you dig too deep have you cleared all previous pairings? There is a maximum number, and if not cleared out once you hit that then you cannot add anything more.

Have a look on Realoem (use the last 7 of your VIN in serial number) and pull up your model. It’s a copy of the BMW parts database. There are probably multiple versions for the car and go for the latest available. BMW made an utter hash of implementing Bluetooth back then, having to issue upversioned hardware every few weeks at one point. If it is the ULF then you can get them on line, but a lot are defective. BMW will want serious money. At least they are a plug n play module.

Oh and :hi:

PS if anyone wonders about the time stamp, I’m not suffering from insomnia but am on to the other side of the planet with work!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Silentrunning

Post by Silentrunning » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:03 am

Amazing! What a great reply and welcome. I’ve tried to fix most other stuff I’ve found so for example I know my rear centre right pdc sensor is done for, found the radio had been unplugged in the boot which was why the nav audio wasn’t working, display that keeps switching to french, and nav voice that I can’t mute. But all those I think i have solutions for now...

Only problem with the ULF is that I don’t seem to have any trick to accessing it! It won’t wake up. The only signs I have that there even is Bluetooth is the physical box in the boot, connections ok, the centre armrest thing with the phone box and button and the buttons on the steering wheel. If you enter the telephone menu it says activate phone. If you press the button once twice however many times it’s the same. Nothing ever changes. The red led on the nav unit in the top right never changes.

Any ideas for how to clear it before scrapping it and trying a different box?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:05 am

You should have received a ‘Telephone’, or a Universal Bluetooth information card, manual with the car, it’s a separate booklet. Instructions are in it. I think for the ULF it was a card with the passcode.

If it has failed then you will very likely be better off going to a TCU - next generation used from 2004 builds onwards as they are much more reliable and I believe should be plug and play. Again go for the latest part number indicated on Realoem.

No card means digging in the spare wheel well for it - it’s on a label near/on the ULF.

Try this too.....

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e53- ... ms/23BOOEo

from the TIS copy.

Nav audio issue almost certainly means an unofficial nav disc has been used. There was a hacked version that warned about speed cameras. Turning that off forced the system into French (the English language file was the hacked one). The only permanent fix is to have the official V32 firmware reinstalled and use a genuine disc. The BMW V32 code is easy to get hold of and once burned into a CD takes about 5 mins to load, then take the CD out and out a Nav disc in and away you go.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Silentrunning

Post by Silentrunning » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm

Yes I've got all the books and docs. I had the 'Telephone' booklet and the passkey written in that is the same as the one on the Visteon ULF unit in the side of the boot. I wondered it there was something obvious that had been disconnected when the previous owner fitted the Android nav, but I can't find anything so far, that I haven't already reconnected.

The basic problem is that every fix seems to depend on actually getting into the pairing mode. I can't get beyond a red LED and 'activate phone' whatever I do, so can't get into this mode. If only there was a reset button which can be activated by prodding it in a certain place with a paper clip lol! No indication even if the ULF is getting power or using it. It also won't pair the other way i.e. the phone can't find the car when you switch the car on and it should naturally be looking around for an open connection anyway.

So sounds like I should go for a TCU and see if that works - but can't find the bit on Realoem that actually pictures the ULF unit that's there already. It's not shown under the nav and audio section, nor under communication. Am I being really stupid? It's the standard diagonally mounted box on the left side of the boot below the dvd drive.