Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel Gauge Sticking

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Junkie

Fuel Gauge Sticking

Post by Junkie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Well, it didnt take more than a couple of weeks for something else to go wrong......

Filled, yes filled the X at Asda tonight for 94 quid and after the tell tale clicks on the filler and the twitchy round up to the nearest quid fiasco, the gauge reads half full (optimistic) or half empty (me).

As the screen also displayed 138 range, even I know the 4.4 is slightly better than that.

Had a look at some inconclusive stuff on Xoutpost, looking like a sensor problem at the moment.

*sigh

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Fuel Gauge Sticking

Post by Sanj » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:38 pm

PM Jig - he filled up with petrol in his diesel and got similar issues. Not that you did but sensors could be right!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:24 am

[quote=""X5 CPE""]Well, it didnt take more than a couple of weeks for something else to go wrong......

Filled, yes filled the X at Asda tonight for 94 quid and after the tell tale clicks on the filler and the twitchy round up to the nearest quid fiasco, the gauge reads half full (optimistic) or half empty (me).

As the screen also displayed 138 range, even I know the 4.4 is slightly better than that.

Had a look at some inconclusive stuff on Xoutpost, looking like a sensor problem at the moment.

*sigh[/quote]
Sorry to hear that mate you seem to be having a nightmare run with the x at the mo :roll: lets hope it's a simple fix :thumbsup:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:19 am

Hope you sort it , could be a dodgy connection on sender.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 pm

I have only had this once in France earlier in the year, but whilst driving it, the meter moved slowly up to full (took about 80 miles or so). Never had it before, never had it since either.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

bullethead

Post by bullethead » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Why haven't BMW solved all the electrical gremlins with 3 buttons on the dash CTRL,ALT,DEL

Pewters

Fuel Gauge Sticking

Post by Pewters » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 pm

No wonder the X5 has electrical problems, my mate stripped a write off and it needed two of them just to carry the wiring loom !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:53 pm

[quote=""bullethead""]Why haven't BMW solved all the electrical gremlins with 3 buttons on the dash CTRL,ALT,DEL[/quote]

They think they did with the Start/Stop button!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

jeegnesh

Fuel Gauge Sticking

Post by jeegnesh » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:14 am

There are two tank senders units in the tank that read the level, the range is nothing but a calculation by the computer based on the senders reading x mpg.

The needle again is based of the senders reading.

You can get into a hidden menu on your OBC and actually see those readings.

2 buttons/pins on the speedo one resets the mileage counter (left) and the other to alternate the obc view (right)
1. Press and hold right button till u get TEST NR 01
2. Press left button
3. Add up all the numbers this is your unlock code. Example 26131=13
4. think right takes u back to TEST-NR 01
5. Press right till u get too TEST NR 20 then left
6. Get locked message hit left till u reach ur unlock code then right
7. Goto TEST NR-09 and hit left
You now see the 2 sender results live if your driving

Unlock only needed once stays unlocked unless you disconnect the battery. And hold right to come out of this menu else switch off and on brings you back.

Alot of folks reported wrong values and after a couple of fills it was fine and never happened. However they also mentioned they followed up by filling super.

If it's sender issue one of the sender has the fuel pump attached so more pricey other is just sender so cheaper but still BMW prices.

Hope that helps. As you can tell I had far too much experience here.
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Jig you da man :hattip:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Cheers all, appreciate the responses.

I've been away on business for a couple of days and returned to find the needle and display reading somewhere close to the expected levels after a fill.

Wifey tells me it just started to act normally after about 25 miles, bizarre.

Anyway, I'm too busy to bother right now and while it's working I ain't gonna touch it guvnor......

jeegnesh

Fuel Gauge Sticking

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:30 am

[quote=""X5 CPE""]Cheers all, appreciate the responses.

I've been away on business for a couple of days and returned to find the needle and display reading somewhere close to the expected levels after a fill.

Wifey tells me it just started to act normally after about 25 miles, bizarre.

Anyway, I'm too busy to bother right now and while it's working I ain't gonna touch it guvnor......[/quote]
Sounds normal :-) this was what alot of other folks mentioned after 1-2 fills everything was back to normal.
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

thedweeb

Post by thedweeb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:03 am

I think what happens is,very rarely the tank gets filled up which means the float on the sender rarely lifts to the max level. There then becomes a build up of residue on what is probably a pin that the float sits on thus preventing it to move. If that makes sense.
Black with Cream Pre-Facelift 3.0d sport.