Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A few questions, sorry in advance......

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
kainechris83

A few questions, sorry in advance......

Post by kainechris83 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Evening all, i recently purchased a 2003 pre-facelift 3.0D i have a few questions about a couple of niggles

The car has adjustable suspension all round, was this an optional extra, as i thought the diesel-only came with rear
the adjuster switch seems to have a mind of its own some days and doesn't do anything. Now and again i get the suspension self-level inactive warning, either i have to tweak with the adjuster button or turn the ignition off for a while. What could be causing this, all bags seem to be inflated and not sagging anywhere

The ride at times seems awfully hard, going over drains/manhole covers is terrible

Ours came with the navigation but no cd player, i have done a bit of brief research into changing this but it seems quite a lot of faff, what experience have people in this

I have tried to pair my phone via BlueTooth but upon pairing my phone never wants to pair again, and when it does audio is not transmitted

and last, of all whats the average mpg people are getting from the diesel, we are currently getting between 28-30, i am going to do a service in the next few weeks , which grade of oil would you recommend

my apologies if all of these have been asked far too many times before

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A few questions, sorry in advance......

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi and :hi:

Could be a bad switch, bad wiring or a dodgy compressor (in the black dome in the spare wheel well). Compressor issues aren’t unknown. It uses a Landrover one that is much cheaper than going to BMW!

If the ride is hard, are the bags overfilling? Too much air might mean too much pressure?

If the cabling is in then you can add a CD multichanger into the left side boot rack (below the Nav I think).

Bluetooth on those models is a nightmare. BMW messed it up big time back then. It might also be that the old version of BT isn’t supported by your phone?

Oil is usually Castrol FST fully synthetic BMW LL02 spec 0w30 or 5w30, or equivalent. ACEA C3 spec is good enough.

MPG sounds right. I used to get 27 around town and 32 on a motorway.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.