Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wouldn’t start.... one thing after another!

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
MarkX50

Wouldn’t start.... one thing after another!

Post by MarkX50 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi guys - it feels like it’s one thing after another at the Moment. Just drove from work (30 miles) and stoped to fill up. Came back out and it wouldn’t start (4.4 v8).

Tried it 3 times and didn’t turn over but the dash was active. Left it 5 mins and boom it’s running .

Any ideas?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Wouldn’t start.... one thing after another!

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Sticking solenoid on the starter.
I had it once not on a bmw but until it cooled a bit it wouldn't do anything.

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Ah, that makes me more hopeful! I’ll get it to the garage....

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:21 pm

When I replaced mine (because it made an awful screeching noise) it only cost about £120.

If you check the prices for a Bosch exchange unit on CarParts4Less and eurocarparts (same company different discounts ) you can see which is best; I’ve just looked and CarParts4Less still come up cheapest for mine - just over £100 once you’ve got the refundable surcharge back.

Access is really awkward - my friends have a garage so not a problem for me but but it’s not one you can get at on your back on the driveway.

If I remember rightly you have to remove the reinforcement plate which forms part of the structure and is secured with stretch bolts. Some people just put the old ones back in but they should be replaced ideally - £70 quid from Cotswold BMW if you message through the forum or don’t bother - up to you!

1.5 hours labour probably.

I have also read on here about ignition switches going bad, but if it feels ok and still clicks to each position ok it’s probably alright.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:06 pm

Don’t forget to check earth lead and the positive connection on starter and at bulkhead where it joins to power lead from battery, be a shame to spend money if it was just a loose screw.

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Really really useful insight, thanks so much for your help 👍👍

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:11 am

So the garage have had my car and said the best guess is the starter motor and that’s going to be £500. Being intermittent I’m going told off for now — any thoughts?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:04 am

Not that it's a good thing to do but when i had this problem and if i remembered i would flick the key as if i was starting it just a quick turn.
I did that if i wanted to stop for a minute and it would start again but i forgot many times lol.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:10 am

Presumably that includes the labour and replacement stretch bolts for that price does it, the starter doesn’t cost a lot itself

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:23 pm

That is a ridiculous price to change a starter. Bosch starters are around £120. Nearly £400 to change. The garage says that’s a best guess, you need to change your garage if they can’t pinpoint a faulty starter motor try somewhere else.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:52 pm

It may be a b*gger to get to? Check newtis.info to see what actually needs to be moved to get at the thing.

My E46 change took (me) 8 hours and needed the intake manifold and some other parts to be removed. That time was with me doing it, so a garage may have taken 2-3 hours less.

LHD versions of the E46 however need major disassembly of the transmission, prop shaft and exhaust, including dropping the engine, to be able to the two (very tight) bolts. Glad we drive on the ‘right’ side of the road in the UK :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:13 pm

I changed mine on the driveway with vehicle on axle stands, had to remove reinforcement plate but I had no real problems getting the starter out, just nuts and bolts as they say. So a garage with power tools and a lift this is a fairly simple job. Really can’t see it being more than an hour.

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 pm

Well as it’s intermittent there is no rush now - plenty of time to see if there is a way for me to pinpoint any other possible causes!!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:15 pm

One thing that might help is to check the current being drawn by the starter.

Any half decent auto electrician will have a current clamp and it’s easy enough to check. If the starter is drawing much more than 180A (2.2kW) it’s knackered. Some can draw more than the battery can deliver - my E53 one topped out at 900A on an 830A rated battery. It didn’t start!

The one on our E46 pulled over 500A and the battery had to be fully recharged overnight after just two starts per day. :o
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.