Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

bmw x5 e53 driver wiper doesnt clean 15cm of window

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
kamrulh

bmw x5 e53 driver wiper doesnt clean 15cm of window

Post by kamrulh » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:58 pm

hi guys,

im having problem with the driver side wiper, ive changed them so its not individual wiper problem but on the driver side the wiper doesn't clean 15cm of it for some reason
just a circle of water that cant be wiped for some reason, any idea why ?

check with few garages they said they don't no, originally someone said change the wiper which I did but still same problem.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: bmw x5 e53 driver wiper doesnt clean 15cm of window

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Could be the wiper arm itself. It might have been slightly bent or twisted and isn’t applying either enough down pressure or keeping the blade at the proper angle on the glass.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kamrulh

Post by kamrulh » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:16 pm

see that's the thing, that's what I thought at first I bought a whole new wiper arm along with new bosch wiper and still that little bit doesn't wipe, in all honesty if it wasn't in the centre of the drivers view I wouldn't have bothered but with storm Dennis I think I need to get it looked into before storm Edward comes in season lol

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 pm

Where did you buy your wiper arm and wiper from? That might be the problem.

I bought new arms from BMW which hold the blades down ok, it’s just the noise I can’t bear from the Bosch blades, gotta try some different ones for my own sanity

kamrulh

Post by kamrulh » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 pm

bought the arm from bmw and the wiper from online both spanking new so couldn't even blame the merchant - if I push down on the wiper part where it doesn't
clean that space then the wiper actually does clean it but theres no way to keep the wiper in that same position

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 am

You’ve definitely got the right ones for drivers and passenger side as well have you, cos they are different? Just wondered if it wasn’t the right length that might be something to do with it

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:06 am

The rear wiper on mine does that. It's one from an E70 and in one direction it leaves a big part of the window in the centre where it does not wipe but on the return direction its clears the whole window. Strange. I've tried three different wipers and arms and they are all the same.

kamrulh

Post by kamrulh » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:46 am

sleepyfolk wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 am You’ve definitely got the right ones for drivers and passenger side as well have you, cos they are different? Just wondered if it wasn’t the right length that might be something to do with it
I was curious at the beginning to see if they were same size or not so before I bought anything I knew which ones were short and long, but its the second one on now
so not sure why it does clean that part of the window

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Not sure if it will help with your problem but I've just changed all three blades on my X5 and had the problem on the rear and the drivers side.
The rear was a simple case of wd40 on the arm pivot point and spring, must have been a little bit tight.
The drivers side blade was being held of the centre section of the screen by the plastic u shaped clip that's attached to the arm, removed this and works a treat.