Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Noise from engine

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
weirdfish

Noise from engine

Post by weirdfish » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:49 am

I have a noise from the engine that occurs after the beast has been sat a while, ( which is quite often as it's not my daily driver ), when started it's almost as though it's starved of oil for a nano second then it goes before coming back when warm, but not so loud, definitely top end, so I'm thinking of tappets or timing chain.
It appears to be from the right side of the engine, would that be where a timing chain noise would come from given that the tensioner is on the left side.
Should add, it's a 2003 4.6 with just over 100K miles on the clock.

Greydog

Re: Noise from engine

Post by Greydog » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:11 pm

Beware the noise is chain slap due to no oil pressure in the chain tensioner (not BMW engineers finest effort)
At around a 100k you are close to probable replacement of the chain guides.

I fitted a pre-oiling system to ensure full pressure prior to engine start

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

So a new tensioner is my first job?

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Good first point of call, the tensioner I change at each oil service but I am paranoid after a total failure that resulted in a nearly £6k rebuild hence the pre oiling system.
Also making sure all the lights have cycled out before starting is a habit of mine now.

Good Luck

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:34 pm

Just waiting for a price back from BMW through the forum, if not I'll buy a febi one from evil bay.
I take it it's straight forward enough to do, basically remove old one and fit new one, no special procedures needed?
I've seen that people suggest that you wait until the lights go out before starting, I normally do anyway but what difference would this make to the chains etc.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:44 pm

None.
The idea of a pre oil pressure system is a good thing. It's on starting that the chain is slightly loose and slaps the plastic guides - that's when they break.
Mine went at 150k and cost £2100 to fix.