Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel gauge & temperature

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
MarkX50

Fuel gauge & temperature

Post by MarkX50 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Gents, I hope you are all well.
As you’d expect not used the car in quite sometime and today went to start it and it was a struggle to get it to start. Not ideal, but the stranger part was it said the outside temp was about -41 and the fuel light was on but its half full!

I assume it’s be battery so have put on a accumate trickle charger - do you think this will work, if so over how long should I leave it, if not and I need a battery do you have suggestions. Seen some for £140 upto £350 for a Bosch.

Cheers

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Fuel gauge & temperature

Post by henrym3 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:59 pm

If you can, leave it on for at least 24 hours, I wouldn’t even think about or look at the other faults until you have a full battery. They will probably have gone when battery is charged.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:46 pm

Battery wise, I fitted a Yuasa AGM battery sourced from Tayna batteries. Fast delivery (Coronavirus might get in the way of that!) well packed, overnight delivery and their customer service is excellent. Prices are good too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Great suggestion. I had a look using my Reg: and this one came up, any experience?

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/enduroline/019/

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:23 pm

None sorry, but it looks cheap. May be there’s a reason? Wet batteries are cheaper than AGM. It’s got a good warranty though. Spec is good enough.

Do you know what battery chemistry type you have? Wet, EFB, or AGM? It should be written in the battery itself. My E53 and E71 both use(d) AGM type (which from the E70 onwards means coding too). This isn't an issue on the E53 though you should go like for like with the chemistry as the charging setup will be for that type..

When considering others, Varta batteries have a good rep as do Exide, Bosch are well known and seem to have got over their bad patch a few years back.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:26 am

Used Tayna a few times and even visited them on ocation.
They can't do enough for you and any problem is sorted out asap.
First time i went there i had a faulty battery a new varta that i bought from a mega-store online but the seller was giving me the runaround.
Went to the lads at Tayna they took the battery off my car and fitted a loan battery while they tested the varta.
They found it to be faulty did a report got my money back straight away from the mega-store and bought from Tayna ever since.